Track planning...

Well, it was bound to happen, all this small scale modelling was always going to lead to a layout plan...

I've been sketching ideas on and off for a few weeks after discussing plans with an old school friend for a joint 009 distraction. We both model in other scales (me European 1:22, Tim 15mm (1:20) Irish and 09 miniature railways), this was an idea for somewhere to run and display our 009 models.
My trustee sketchbook.

Largely inspired by the Great Western narrow gauge systems, in particular the ubiquitous Welshpool and Llanfair, the design makes use of two old Ikea LACK shelves I have going spare. At 110x26cm these are compact enough to be stored when out of use, but combined give an interesting layout. Yet to decide on a final track plan but you get the idea that we want to include a shed/workshop, small station and a standard gauge interchange. Tim has built up a pair of Swindon'ised large narrow gauge locomotives on the Graham Farish 94xx chassis - both outside frames (of his own design), one saddle tank (loosely based on a miniature 1366) and one based on Snailbeach's Bagnall, Dennis. He also has a lovely Manning Wardle, and a selection of rolling stock on the workbench. So far, I've got the somewhat more modern Schoema and Wasp, and the new Belgium built 'Le Meuse' 2-6-0t.

I think we'll finish the layout to a high standard but non-precise time scale so it can run as a 1930s line in full swing, or a preservation line, but I suspect the ideas will continue to evolve until we commit to a track plan and start building.
The small station board (since has had the plan tweaked a touch).

We haven't decided who will build each board, although I think I'm starting to lean towards doing the shed/interchange board. The idea would be we build them in isolation, using the same materials and techniques, allowing us both to have a board to photograph our stock on, but when they come together you get a layout that can be operated, perhaps even exhibited... Grand plans indeed, despite the small scale (no pun intended).
The workshop and interchange board.

Whilst all this has been going on the beautiful little Graham Farish 08 has been shawn of it's bodyshell and chassis moulding and has been gently running in on my desk. It is an incredibly smooth runner, a lot quieter than the Kato tram chassis used in my other items. Mind they're both improving with a little gently running in as well.

I think I'll hang onto the body until the new 'old body style' ones hit the market this summer and then sell the body on eBay for someone who wants a modern body! Maximise the profit...

I've been reading the Le Meuse instructions and plucking up the courage to start - I expect the soldering iron will break cover this week...

Comments

  1. Great idea... it should be fun.

    Will one of the lines on the r/h board be a "through" line and will you be able to add a fiddle yard for when they are connected together?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael - I've not actually shared the track plan have I! A fiddle yard would be definitely fitted to the right hand board, and possibly the left too - the idea would be that the line terminates at a closed and overgrown level crossing gate at the station. I'll share more when Tim and I have agreed how to share this on NGRM :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.