Sentinel and the Schoema...

I dug out my old Judith Edge P4 0-4-0 chain driven Sentinel kit tonight, whilst scoping out the size of the IKEA Lack shelves for a 4mm / 009 layout idea...

It was really interesting to compare these two models - built over a year apart. The finesse of the Judith Edge kit design ensured a easy to assemble kit, my first in etched brass, and I learnt a lot during the construction. It shares one thing in common with my 009 kits, that of using a self contained bogie/chassis - in this case a P4 creation from the Hollywood Foundry IIRC.

I'm particularly pleased with the weathering finish on both models, though in hindsight the blue I mixed for the Manchester Ship Canal livery on the Sentinel looks a little too blue now compared to the Schoema, which I added much more yellow too when mixing it, in fact I don't think there was any yellow in the Sentinel's blue. It does compare well with photos though, and that's what I based it on - a circa 1980s model for a P4 project based on the Ellesmere Port section of line - alas it came to nothing.

But with the idea of a 009 project, I am wondering whether to include a P4 spur, or stick to OO. I'll probabyl plump for P4, it gives the Peco 009 track more of a narrow gauge appearance...

Comments