O&K 30hp in 009: 3D and real D...

The advantage of working in 3D is the speed at which you work - it seems infinitely quicker than plasticard, but the disadvantage, when using a proprietary mechanism is the inability to quickly check it fits...

Now obviously I'm going to need to get a proof printed in 3D at some point, in a lower/cheaper grade material, to check fit and final proportions - but with only an old fashioned 2D printer at home how could I check the work so far? The simple answer is Sketchup allows you to go 2D and select a standard view and then print to scale - easy!
So I printed out a side and bottom view - cutting the bottom view out so that I could test it on the Minitrains chassis and woo hop it fits first time. The side view allowed me to check visually the proportions of the dome and sand box which although are close together and I could make smaller, do look ok on paper - the issue with this over the prototype is I've had to reduce the length of the boiler of the 50hp model I've worked from drawings off - and so I've also reduced the diameter so it's all a balancing act to get the thing looking right.
Anyway I;m happy so far - here it is against the original inspiration, not a book, or prototype photo, but a custom build Paul Windle special! More soon...

Comments