Dryfrdwy tramway in 7/8ths: planking...

I decided to try my hand at scratch building in 7.8ths scale this weekend, and I decided that I'd go for a 3 plank slate wagon inspired by Brian Clarke's Vowchurch slate company wagons...
The basic operations were very straight forward. I cut 80thou plastic styrene sheet with a Stanley knife to 12mm wide. I used a flat chisel bladed craft knife to smooth the edges and remove the burrs formed from cutting with the Stanley knife, and to add a few nicks to the plank edges. I then used a razor saw dragged along the surface to generate a sort of wood grain effect.
These were then simply cut to length and glued together with polystyrene cement, and here you can see them balanced on a Model-earth budget flat wagon. I will be adding the steel corner strengthening pieces in 30thou styrene next, and then fitting Cambrian rivets or bolt heads to the them. More soon...

Comments