Simplex 40S in 7/8ths: building commences...

I seem to have been collecting parts for this build for some time but I've finally got around to making a start on the Simplex...
I forgot to take progress shots but I'll try and describe what's been done so far...
The main side frames and ends were cut first from 80thou styrene sheet, and then glued together around the custom chassis designed and made for me by Peter at PDF models. The axle boxes glue inside this and look excellent. The next stage was 60 thou sheets at each end to rest on the top of the PDF models chassis, and provide something for the chassis to be screwed/bolted into at a later date.

The U beams are 60 thou styrene cut out, the tops need some 40 thou adding along the inside edge, but I need to fit the batteries first to make sure there is space - and then I'll mock up the ends of the engine/fuel tank/gearbox for each end to hide the drive.

The small 45 degree fillets are 60 thou - and have a hole formed in them. The radiator has been modified from the Model-earth casting. This has had the top cut off, as the 40S had a later, plainer looking radiator top, on top of the old block from what I can see in pictures.
I've made a start on painting some of the other items of rolling stock - here the barrel carrier and small van have been primed and the first coats of paint added.
The Simplex is looking nicely proportioned - I need to source the radio control system and batteries next.
Finally, I've started on fabricating the cast weights for each end - here you can see the main piece marked out and the centre hole marked up and holes drilled to allow it to be more easily cut out. I'll share more soon...

Comments