Simplex 40s in 7/8ths: more driving position details...

It seems to look pretty much the same as when I last shared an update, but I've been steadily adding more details and parts to my 7/8ths Simplex 40S...
This is where things stood yesterday, I'd fabricated the two buffer beams and had posed the driver in position (without head) to check on appearance and properties. It all seemed good - and it's mock ups like these during the construction process that give me heart and renewed enthusiasm to continue.
So today I had decided to push on with the driver position. This meant building the drivers seat, fitting the floor, sandboxes, handrail and clutch pedal. The handrail is 3mm diameter brass rod, quite hard to bend so it took some time to get the correct profile, it's beefy looking but matches the drawings and photos I have of the prototypes with these fitted. The sand boxes fitted to the end of the cast weight, with bolt heads from Cambrian to give the impression of actually being bolted rather than superglued in position. The sanding actuator rod is 0.9mm rod, in plasticard brackets.
The chassis was filled in with 30 thou styrene, the centre piece scribed to represent some chequer plating. The seat box was made from 40 thou styrene. The details are Cambrian rivets, and microstrip and micro-rod for hinges and the top strengthening section. The seat is from Model-earth, and is a touch oversize, but so much better than I could have achieved - it's a lovely casting. The back was made from brass section and plasticard with Cambrian rivets and bolt heads.
The clutch pedal is 40 thou styrene, micro-rod and some Cambrian bolt heads again - and is mounted in a low position - so partially engaged I'd imagine, but this is to suit the drivers foot position!
The seat box looks good in position, but is mounted in such a way that it can be pulled off - as I'm not sure whether the charging socket may be located underneath. I have sourced a Radio Control system from Peter Spoerer, including AAA battery packs which will be mounted within the bonnet.
The final shot shows the driver in position, I have fixed one arm and hand in position, resting on the handrail, and his head is turning slightly over the bonnet. I cannot add the second arm until the bonnet and levers are in position. His foot presses on the clutch, and he sits nicely in the seat, although his back doesn't touch the back rest so he's obviously got great stomach muscles!

I will be fabricating the brake handle, and then working on the front of the engine, fitting sandboxes, and beginning to work some more on the radiator. More soon...

Comments