Simplex 40S in 7/8ths: radiator fitted...

It sometimes feels like these posts don't show a great deal of progress but I've been chipping away at the detailing jobs on the Simplex - and also fitted the radiator today...
This involved spraying the fan I'd made in grey primer (as it was white) and then supergluing the fan housing to the casting from Model Earth. I then used Cambrian bolts and rivets to finish this off and glued it in place. I'll fabricate a bottom feed pipe later. On the buffer beam at this end I also added Cambrian bolt heads where the sandboxes are fitted.
This might not sound a lot but I spent most of my modelling time today actually working on the open wagon - drilling and smoothing the Talisman brass pillow couplings and then blackening them. I have fitted them a little higher than Si originally intended so that they interface with the other stock although they're still to low for the standard 'budget' flat when it's running on the larger wheels - luckily the van is on small Binnie disc wheels too...
So here the three items are actually coupled together, and if I had any track to run it on would actually give a train! Shock horror! The Simplex is pretty much there now - definitely the home straight so my thoughts have turned to the next project - the Motor Rail coach built for Dalmunzie. I'm pondering on some passengers first, so that the bench seats can be constructed to the right height... again I quite like the figures Si offers, so it may be that some follow in 2018 after Christmas.
In these photos the van really does look very bright - it's been painted in 'leather' which I was hoping could be toned down somewhat to look like faded brown paint. That might be between Christmas and New Year when I visit my Mum again... anyway, festive best wishes, I'm not sure how much modelling will take place in the coming days with family commitments. Thank you for reading the blog and my modelling topics on various forums over the year - and the engagement, questions, encouragement online and in person at shows and exhibitions. Best wishes to you all, and I hope Father Christmas brings you all some exciting projects for the new year!

More soon...

Comments