Friday Update: Thirty-one Seven Twenty-six…

Good morning and welcome to Friday, a much cooler and more comfortable week here in North Wales under cloud and not much more than 20degC all week - sorry, it sounds as if many of you will have been suffering more than that. Let’s hope that the usual wander through the week here in the workshop helps distract from that, grab a cool drink (!) and let’s take a look…


The next 009 models are nearing completion - a pair of NGG16 using the Michael Tucker kit combined with RT models valve gear. The paintwork and lining have been the recent focus, and the hard work is paying off as I love how they’re looking. I’ve drawn up some more suitable WHR decals (as well as some RHE/WHR ones) and spares will be going on Light Railway Stores. Plates for the maroon one are here, the green one will be another few weeks - and believe it or not there is now an 009 back log with several more models sat waiting for future commission work. I love this scale and if you’d like me to work on something for you do get in touch to discuss your requirements and I’ll prepare a fixed price proposal. The contact form is in the menu, as well as on the Commissions page.


Did I mention 009? A new layout has leaped forwards this week - loosely inspired by ‘Dawson Creek’ but now back across the UK and a Humber estuary vista, the 1940s and a wintry day. The basic baseboard structure is plywood, the roadbed is MDF, track all Peco and structures detailed in last weeks update. Wiring today, and then into painting the track ahead of ballasting. I can’t describe how exciting it is to be working on something like this again - this is really allowing my creativity to well up and fuel the whole layout build - I cannot wait to share more!

Photo George Williamson

Not more? Talking of 009 it has been rather lovely to see photos of our GWR Kerr Stuart shuffling around layouts. Even good friend George Williamson has fallen for its charms - and has been developing a new project to make use of the fictional back story, a new direction for him and one I’m excited to share. We have some big news about the whole GWR line of models to come, if you’re not signed up to the LRS newsletter then stop by later on and I’ll add a bit here to explain what is going on… 


On my own bench, at last, thanks to a nudge from Will is the start of a new structure and my first Scratchbuild for some time. Loosely based upon a standard Canadian station, it will be a test piece for a few ideas I have for North American N. The Budd RDC in CP Rail has arrived but has been squirrelled away for my birthday on Sunday, so I’m not sure where these various N Canadian models are leading. I’m wise enough now to realise that it is not the destination that matters but I’ll let them take me on whatever journey presents itself…


Wrapping this week up is my latest Farish 08 conversion. This is a lightly reworked current Intercity liveried model. I have resprayed the dark grey after removing the swallow and numbers as the roof was black and had a cantrail stripe. I’ve modifed the side of the chassis frame too, so this was repainted light grey. Otherwise it is the Farish finish - plus the 09 details each end and some weathering. Next up are the Dick Hardy plates which are a bit of an experiment - I’ve had them etched by Light Railway Stores in nickel silver, so it will be interesting to see if they work, or are too visually heavy in N.

The weekend… well it’s 60s this time on the railway but at least the bar will be open in the village! I’ll be around on Saturday if you’re visiting. Sunday is my birthday - and Janey is taking me on the Corris railway! Let’s hope for some nice weather. I hope that whatever your plans you can find time for your hobby, until next time, more soon…



Support my work

I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee, where regular memberships start from just £1.

Comments