Friday Update: Twenty-four Seven Twenty-six...

Another week, where has that gone! Loads and loads of parcels out the door as I had a clear out of smaller items via eBay. Some higher value stuff will go up here next week (including OO, N and a layout). It has been slower on the bench, progress on various projects but not much to show for it…


In evenings I’ve been enjoying more N scale 08 bashing - 08994 my latest is looking the part in Railfreight grey with much of the decal work complete. Still a fair way to go but I had hoped it would push the whole project forwards - it has somewhat, but I’m still stalled on the scenic foundation - as in the foam, polystyrene or card base or sub-structure… I need something to be firm enough to hold trees and so my usual methods probably aren’t quite right… in the meantime testing and tweaking of the trackwork has improved running - despite my poor laying of the turnouts!


Magazines are a wonderful perennial and I was excited when this copy of RMC arrived via my good friend Chris in Canada. I have always found RMC to be a cover to cover magazine. It doesn’t treat its readers with contempt and silly step by step how to articles - it relys upon a diverse readership to contribute material, the authors voice is clearly their own, it’s enjoyable and informative. Long may that continue, perhaps I’ll take a subscription again?

Talking of magazines, I’ve sent out an email to list subscribers this week about a third Ribbons. If you’re not on the list, but would like to contribute you can reach me on ribbons@jameshilton-cmr.co.uk


The destination for last weeks NGG16 mechanisms is this pair of Michael Tucker 3D prints. I’ve been asked to do one in a relatively bright shade of green and the second as 138 in the lined crimson. The next step on both is the lining, after which I can start detail painting.


Elsewhere on the bench the structures for an 009 layout build are taking shape. I’ve gone for a kit bash theme with these, something with a little fun and whimsy too - above, the Wills chapel will become an engine shed with lean to greenhouse whilst the Wills station has a Ratio brick office (and I’ll be adding a corrugated sheet wind break across the opening) and the goods facilities are Wills garage and plate layers hut. Each has been adjusted and modified but I love the juxtaposition of materials, roof angles and pitches. It might seem strange to do all the structures first, but I think this will actually help the project as it will mean I don’t need to stop to build them once the scenic work can begin. We’ll see if this helps!


Earlier this week I finally sat down with the camera and Cameos and spent ten minutes reflecting on the book, the project and how it felt to work on something from someone who has become something of a role model and inspiration to my ‘life’ as someone making a living from railway models, much in the same way as Iain did… anyhow, if you’ve not seen it I’ve embedded it here…


Wrapping up this week the Canadian N has not been forgotten. In fact, the appeal has continued to grow. The wonderful Intermountain F7s are lovely models that run beautifully. This Prairie Shadows caboose (van, in Canadian parlance) has been weathered as a sign of intent that this stuff is staying… it’s my birthday shortly and I’m wondering if I treat myself to a Rapido RDC? A slippery slope and still no layout plan or concept yet…


So that just about wraps things up for this morning. I hope the rather thinner pickings this week have still entertained. A polite reminder to you all that whilst I enjoy spending moments here and engaging with comments and commentary I always appreciate your support, donations and ‘coffee’ which helps keep me coming back and ensuring there is always something new to spend time with every morning. 

Whatever your plans this weekend, as always, hope you find a moment to spend with your model, your hobby. I shall be doing the same… until next time, as usual, more soon…



Support my work

I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee, where regular memberships start from just £1.

Comments