Sand Hutton Hunslet in 009: cheers Brian...

I was pondering how to make the smokebox door for the Hunslet when I stumbled upon a picture of a Quarry Hunslet...
This struck a memory, and I looked at Brian Madge's website and shop and found that his sublime Quarry Hunslet kits in 000 use a seperate smokebox door. I emailed him to see if he'd let me buy a pair and a few days later they have arrived along with a few other parts including a pair of chimneys from Dorothea. Now hopefully Paul is turning a brass one but in the meantime I couldn't help posing it - perfect - so I drilled a small hole in the base and mounted it on 0.7mm brass rod. The door was cleaned up and fitted with superglue and the smokebox dart from Eileen's modified to suit (an excellent turned brass product). The chimney was also drilled and hollowed out at the top to improve appearance.
The sand domes were filled and some beading added and the lid lifters added from two bits of fluid lead! The pipes are 0.7mm diameter brass rod, rolled around my craft knife handle to shape. The exhauster (I think?) pipe on the non drive side was also made from 0.7mm rod.
The cab rear handrails are secured to the chassis, not the roof, and are 0.45mm nickel silver and there is a white metal brake stand hiding in there now too - and I modified the Minitrains brake actuator to represent the other part of the screw brake below the frames. So what next? More pipework and rodding plus some small hand wheels. Cool! More soon...

Comments