Slate slab wagon in 7/8ths...

I've had this half finished slab wagon, built from a Model Earth resin kit on my workbench, and then windowsill for many months now...
I finally have got around to finishing it. It had been primed with grey Halfords plastic primer as a base, the first stage was painting - I used Humbrol 64, thinned a little all over for the old paintwork. I then used Humbrol 72 on the ends of the wood, and on the edges of the cross members to represent where the paint has worn through to wood. Once dry, I mixed Humbrol 72 with a little white, and then dry brushed the planks. I left the model overnight to dry thoroughly. The next step was a slightly thinned coat of Humbrol 173, which was wiped off to leave a build up in the cracks and around the nuts and protruding details. Finally I painted the metal work in a mix of Humbrol 53, 173 and 27004.
This model uses Binnie wheels and axles, but I added Styrene tube to these to beef up their appearance, which has worked quite effectively. The model won't be in general use, probably appearing in the sidings from time to time, as it doesn't have compatible couplings with my other stock. More soon once I've a suitable load for it!...

Please note, I'm happy to offer this painting and weathering technique as part of my custom model making service. Get in touch for a price and proposal to your own requirements...

Comments