Trefor Quarry Wagon in 7/8ths...

I'm pleased to say that I've achieved to make the wooden wagon look like painted plastic... only kidding... the Bole Laser Craft 'Trefor' granite wagon has been finished for coal service on the Dyfrdwy Tramway...
Last seen here in bare wood I was a little apprehensive about painting it because I didn't want it to look out of place with my other stock that is resin and plastic painted to look like weathered wood. To this end I took two approaches. The chassis has been primed, sealed, smoothed and then painted to look fairly recently painted with a few rough edges. This was done with Humbrol 64. The inside of the body was washed with Humbrol 72, and the outside 64. This was put on in thin washes to build up the effect of old flaky paint. Once dry I weathered both inside and out with a dirty brown wash wiped off whilst still wet. The metalwork was painted with a mix of Humbrol 33 and 27004. I then added a real coal weathering to the interior, shaking around some coal dust, and then sealing it with dullcote.
The wagon number and the 'For Mill Use Only' were done with a Uni Posca paint pen. The writing on the body wiped whilst still a little wet to give the impression it was old and had flaked off with the paint. I also added a little coal dust to the buffer beam headstocks. All that waits is to sort out a means to couple with the other stock now. More soon...

Comments