The Dyfrdwy Tramway: yard laid...

We've had some good weather here today and so I took the opportunity to push on with finishing off phase 1 of the tramway. I had pondered a much more elaborate track plan but in the end we've got a basic yard...
The reason is two fold, first of all, there isn't a lot of space for more without it feeling crowded, and I wanted to give the feel of a run down 18" gauge tramway near the end of it's life, so with that in mind, a large yard with sprawling facilities and a run round loop and engine shed were probably unlikely...
Secondly, the track is expensive, especially the points! So I laid a foundation, and then added the track, cutting one section to length. Rowlands mix was then used like on the rest of the tramway, although I was more careful around the point to not gum up the operating mechanism and flange ways in the check rails. I like the gentle curves of the line as it leaves the yard, here you can see I've made a start on the planting.
This overview shows how simple and small the yard is... I have ordered some materials from a dolls house supplier to build an office building that can live outside permanently. More on that soon...

Comments