Commission: Beyer Peacock in 009...

The Llanfyllin and Llangynog Light Railway was a 'what if' I dreamt up a few years ago, which resulted in the first Narrow Planet ready to run commission, the GWR carriage as well as the Beyer Peacock kit...

I was always quite taken by the kit, but with the whirlwind of the release, and the contraction of my modelling space I never did build myself other than the prototype, which now lives on the NP stand for exhibition display. I did build one last year for a customer, but was requested to de-GWR it... this time however my customer wanted to be finished as typically GWR with the roundel I'd dreamt up in the original illustrations.

Those drawings show a works plate fitted as well, but I've kept things simple on this model opting to represent 826, the un-named example. This has kept the side profile very clean, and hopefully believable. The original design styling was not the W&LLR locomotives as many assume, but the GVT trams. I imagined what they might look with the skirts and tram elements removed...

...and then combined this with some Swindon-isation with the massive dome and safety valve. The result is a bit of a hodge podge of style that is very cute. It looks great with the GWR coaches it was designed with, and I hope that NP will shortly be able to offer the next item of rolling stock,  but until I've seen the design I'm not able to share that...

In the meantime, this model was finished with a custom mixed green, aiming to ape a work weary condition but still looked after. The model has also been very very lightly weathered to bring the edges to life. 

If you've got a kit in a drawer and would like to see it breathed to life, then get in touch for a no-obligation proposal. These NP kits I designed are quite straight froward to assemble, but they reward care and patience with positioning the overlays. I hope that the finish you see here shows what is possible, perhaps encouraging you to have a go yourselves... More soon...

Comments