Planet Industrials: Clayton 25t prototype...

After applying a coat of primer the other day, I've now smoothed and filled the Clayton 25t prototype model, as well as adding a few final details and pipework...

The model is now re-coated with a final coat of primer before going yellow, and this hi-lights the fine detail in this heavily contrasted photo I took in the greenhouse. The front and rear handrails are now bent forwards as per the prototype. I used a section of 1mm brass rod with a plastic 'sleeve' for the exhaust on the side of the bonnet/front of the cab.

Obviously I needed to check it still worked, so it's been up and down Pont-y-dulais successfully. I think I will work in a magnetic solution for chassis retention with this model, to ease removal, should it be necessary (it's just glued in on this prototype!). These photos show that despite it's cute appearance and apparent small size, it's actually quite a beefy little prototype and would work well in many modern small industrial applications.

I've been asked about larger 40/45t Clayton models, this 25t example has proven the concept of how it would go together, so if this sells well I will look into designing the larger models, but these would be largely drawn from scratch as a lot of the model is different. In the meantime I'm planning to get a coat of matt white on it this afternoon as a primer layer for the yellow, and I have the etched 'Clayton' plates, as well as the right transfers all ready to apply. More soon...

Comments