Friday Update: Eleven Nine Twenty...

I've been excited all week for Friday, seeing as the Peckett Post-date kit is finally being released after a long C-19 delay. However, all sorts beyond what I've shared already on the blog, and a few more new things to share over the weekend too...
The week started with a trip to see Steve M and have a good catchup, numerous cups of tea, plan for world domination in 7/8ths scale and cut a lot of parts on his industrial laser!

We cut parts for the Hudson Hunslet so I could press on with frame and basic body construction of this slightly delayed batch - I've got all the parts for the basic construction now, however I do need to re-visit how many cabs and things I'm doing so I can plan for that. I don't think I'll ever be building anymore of these, and batch building on this scale isn't fun, but I know these four customers were disappointed they missed out on the first batch and I'm positive they'll be gratefully received when complete, so I'll keep working on them as if it were the first time I'd seen the kit of parts (rather than the umpteenth!)
Today sees the release of the Peckett kit, did I mention (!!), it has given me a nudge with Pont-y-dulais to do a bit more work on the layout and plan a list of outstanding tasks. Here the PIL-004 kit is posed with a standard B2, I think it hold's it own against a ready to run offering. I can't wait to see what people do with the kit on their own layouts.
The nameplates also arrived for another of my own models, HECATE, if you remember, was conceived during lock down whilst I was reading lot on Colonel Stephens's lines... the layout concept is complete, and I want to build it so it's a definite one day plan. The loco just needs a few things to finish off, a very light weathering and the motor re-wiring so it goes the right way!
I've made a start on weathering a couple of North American models too, these are calling for some careful thinking, as they're shape and complex assembly makes finishing them a different proposition to my usual British outline work. I have literally only given these pair a wash on the tank sides, observing the patten of rain water streaking on prototype photos and trying to replicate this... I'll leave this to thoroughly dry for a week or so before adding more weathering detail to the supports and roof walk ways, then working my way 'down' to the under frame. All good fun, still no sign of my Kato GP35 from Japan though...
My Hornby Peckett B2 is nearly finished now too, since the other photos were taken earlier this week I've dry brushed gun metal on the edges and stippled some on the buffers which has brought elements of the finish to life. In the flesh the overall dirt seems to match the flatness of photos of the period, but I'm hankering for some gloss relief somewhere, it all seems too matt, so I'll mull it over for a while before a final work over. I've done a few weathering jobs on these lovely models, and my own is also repainted, so if you'd like me to do something similar to your example do get in touch.
Finally this week, the North American 2ft gauge Plymouth from Edaville... I laser cut a chassis for this, and Steve M helped turn the axles down to 1" gauge. I've fitted a Mitsumi motor and Branchlines 50:1 gearbox which fits neatly under the floor, I will add pick ups and secure the motor to a cross brace next, and then onto the bodywork. A few details will need to be etched and 3D printed, I've started on the printed items with the buffers and axle boxes being drawn up first. It's proving to be a neat little project and 1:24 is an interesting scale for this, however, personally it' too small, and I'd love to build this model in 7/8ths some day! 
It seems quite 'personal' models heavy this week, but really it's been mostly Hudson Hunslet, and my own model making has been a welcome distraction between sessions on filing, smoothing and gluing large pieces of styrene. I do love a bit of variety in my model making, I hope you enjoy reading about it, if you ever have any questions or thoughts feel free to comment. If I can help bring your own project to reality get in touch for a personal proposal, in the meantime, keep an eye on the blog over the weekend and I hope you have time for some of your own models. More soon...

Comments