End of ‘N’ era? (N part 72)…

Do you remember when I worried if I could think in N scale? Whether my mind would allow me to see, compose and create models in this smaller scale? Over the past few years I have deeply enjoyed the adventure, tipped over the edge by Chris. Today I find myself strangely unmoved by British OO - perhaps the transformation is complete?

Bachmann and Farish Mk1 BG with a Pilot V5 pen.

On my bench sits a pair of Mk1 BG models. The OO part of the collection for my weathering book, the N a feature of my Lochdubh fleet. Both lovely examples that capture the prototype well. This opportunity presents a moment of reflection. Through the years after the first Canadian logging models were created to the early experiments with a Farish 31 and British Finescale code 40 track I have explored and experimented finding solutions to perceived problems and proving to myself that N scale cameo layouts can be half the size of their OO brethren. Practically this is an important point…

Do the same in less space for less money.

Emotionally however, I have been surprised by something. I return to it here on occasion, there is a deeply magical energy, a marvelling at the miniaturisation and distillation of well known and loved prototypes to this tiny size, perhaps realistically the smallest practical modellers scale? Holding and handling these toys excites me in a way that I don’t find with OO…

This is a personal journey, one I’ve shared and encouraged others to follow, but nevertheless mine. Each problem and solution has built upon the energy I feel for the art of the possible, today I think in N! (luckily for my customers, I have not lost the ability to think, work or create in other scales too!). 

More than that, I feel in N.

I’m excited about projects here that I could never consider in a larger scale, as well as the Mosslanda shelf series exploring smaller scenes in short order. For now, it works. In future, rather than ‘graduate’ back to OO, I can imagine building that branch-line I’ve always wanted. N gives me the freedom to create a railway in the manner that resonates for me…

And I will continue to share my experiences, in all scales. Now, is it time for a coffee?
Until next time, more soon…


Support my work

I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee, where regular memberships start from just £1.

Comments

  1. Goodness, can you write like that before coffee? I do find it hard to switch between scales, 4mm being my “home” really, but I do find 2,, exquisite and so rewarding when it’s right, which yours really are, thanks and good morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is something deeper here. We find different things in different scales, and they suit different visions.
    I have an affection for N that goes back to the first layout that was "mine." Nut my introduction to model railways was very much in 7mm scale, then OO9.

    I'm making very slow progress on my N gauge projects, because I have a very specific look in mind, and I'm very conscious of the type of N gauge layout I don't want them to be, whilst edging towards what I do want them to be. My biggest stumbling block seems to be trees. I've made so many 2mm trees and thrown them in the bin, for a multitude of reasons.

    I sort of know that when my head is in the right place I can throw a OO9 or OO layout together quite quickly when I get round to it. I suspect there might be a flurry of activity in those scales heading into the Autumn, even if they are just photo planks.

    I don't think I could ever build a 7mm standard gauge model, although 016.5 still appeals in retro sort of way.

    And in the garden - I feel 16mm is what I should be building for the grandchildren but these days it does nothing for me, whilst I still love 7/8ths

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not sure it’s deeper… I think I’ve just evolved to be here, now in my life. At this moment. Circumstances change, perhaps the message is one of hope, we can find modelling in whatever our our situation allows?

      Delete
    2. That is so true James. Hope in getting together something in the space and time that today allows. Also eyesight.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.