Penpont Bridge…
Well well well, I’ve had this idea of doodling something inspired by Wenford Bridge - but after a fantastic conversation with blog regular and friend Tom I have moved from idea to reality - well, sketch…
Taking the Penpont name allows me to simplify and distill a scheme inspired by rather than directly Wenford. Celebrating the simplicity and success of Paxton Road it is a pointless scheme, two sidings (the incline road is not connected). Rather than a Speedlink yard in Paxton Road’s case this would see a parade of smaller shorter older stock - I’d see a lovely green 03 with wasp stripes I think, and imagine some wonderfully mindful shunting in a compact and greener more sylvan setting.
I’ve doodled a few different presentations, the concept works with them all so take your pick. Of course I had N in mind but his would work in larger scales too - I’d encourage magnetic delay action couplings though; to give you a hands free experience.
I know Tom thought this was a wonderful build on the Penpont story - and as the custodian of that lovely small layout I wonder if we’ll see him the first to turn this into reality? Equally perhaps this scheme really appeals to you? If you decide to give this a go I’d love to hear from you. Until next time, more soon…
Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee, where regular memberships start from just £1.

Morning James, game on I think! I've had a go at something vaguely similar in O gauge but this seems like a logical extension to Penpont and my own ideas.
ReplyDeleteI've never thought to turn the viewing angle around and have the Delank quarry spur on the front edge, I'd definitely connect it up on my version, just to increase the shunting options. I think the traffic could potentially be for Cornwall farmers, or even slate dust from Delabole (assuming Wadebridge has been closed). I will start mocking it up this week using code 55 track that I have kicking about and see what it looks like.
Take care.
I think the third siding adds nothing to operation so I’d caution the extra complication…
DeleteLooking again at this with fresh eyes, I do wonder if it would be a good home for my N gauge stock… after all I already have the intended 03 and good stock of mineral wagons!
ReplyDeleteSounds like two takers…
DeleteIt's an inspiring plan! I will give the quarry siding some thought.
ReplyDeleteHi James
ReplyDeleteAnother set of interesting proposals. Would be good to see a version in reality.
I assume that either on or off stage you might have thought about some clay driers as part of the theme. If so I guess you will remember English China Clays/Imerys purchased a number of 08's as well as some "real" industrial diesels to shunt their various plants - an excuse for another of these units most seemed to be a clay blue scheme
Best regards
Alan
Hi Alan, Penpont dries a just down the line and featured in Ribbons 2.
DeleteI think the bottom left plan appeals to me the most James. What dimensions do you think would work? I'm guessing 2ft X 1 ft... Approx. I have to admit that the Delank quarry siding curving towards the front makes this plan very appealing. It would be interesting to see what Will comes up with too. Alan, I managed a few cab rides in Denise, the former ECC sentinel at Bodmin, I still have an Imrys wagon ticket given to me by the former CME at Bodmin as there was a large stack on the dashboard in the cab when she arrived for preservation.
ReplyDeleteI’d say yes, but perhaps a touch narrower would also work…
DeleteThe trick will be to mock up the landforms and get a sense of the space and determine the height of a cameo presentation - I find more closely cropped windows more attractive.
Good luck!
Hi Tom
DeleteI saw Denise at work for Imerys in 2000 but did not get a ride!!. It was a very cramped layout. Posted something to James which he put on the blog . Search for my name in December 2021.
Regards
Alan
Now this is a great plan James! I remember being captivated by the 2mm finescale Wenford Bridge as a teenager, and was over the moon to finally see it in the flesh at York one year. It didn't disappoint.
ReplyDeleteI actually like the Paxton Rd size plan. It's very neat.
You make an interesting point about a third siding adding nothing in terms of operation. I now realise that more sidings doesn't necessarily mean more play value. Paxton Rd has taught this to me!
PS - and I could well be a third taker! I've got a nice selection of N gauge wagons for such a scheme. Just need a loco!
DeleteDepending on your confidence, Kernow still have NSE 03s for £70 and they’re easily repainted… or Bachmann have green bodies for just £30 on their spares site…
DeleteThanks for the tip off James. I have a couple in the shopping basket, just waiting for payday.
DeleteI like the Paxton Road plan. But 4mm in EM and reinstate the connection to the incline. I can see this as an exchange siding for something industrial. Even linking it to another shelf layout. Perhaps that makes it too big and too complex?
ReplyDeleteI can also see it in a other part of the UK, perhaps in some sleepy corner of Kent? One for Will?
The problem with adding the turnout is then you need turnout control, polarity switching, etc etc, and it shortens the effective length of the sidings…
DeleteGenuinely, it is better as a scenic element in a small layout. My thought was it was overgrown and told part of the story rather than more…
Hmmm, yes, overgrown, the odd rail missing...a level crossing gate overwhelmed with brambles.....
DeleteThat doesn’t mean you need to listen - only to challenge the concept we’re encouraged to believe by ritual and social expectations that two sidings would be boring, we need a third… no turnouts no interest etc etc. think about how it would feel to play with this model, to marvel at the slow running shunter and feel your heart rate slow and your breathing relax as you sink into the experience…
DeleteIt interesting how these conventions have developed. Lots of us (myself included) have always drawn plans with three siding goods yards. But you're right, two longer sidings are equally as entertaining as three shorter ones. They look more realistic too! For me, these pointless designs are wonderful.
DeleteIt's only one small point, just one.
ReplyDeleteAnd it is not even a siding.
However it has sparked something. I mocked it up and sent some pictures.
Time to quickly sketch it up and then pop into Ikea on the way home tomorrow.
Glad to have inspired!
DeleteI love the way this little layout plan has sparked inspiration and debate James. I'm definitely going to have a go at building a version of it
ReplyDeleteSuper!
DeleteIt's great to get the discussion going and ideas brewing isn't it!
Delete