The Moriarty and Lumberton…

My good friend Simon has long held plans to create a HO scale model. The 44t switcher seen here was bought new many years ago and reworked for such a scheme which until recently lay dormant…


My own Coalbridge Street layout was a catalyst when he saw it last year at the Small Layout Design book launch event - and one of Chris’s wonderful concepts, the overlap, fuelled a small scheme sketched by Simon, below…


This is a compact scheme, the Moriarty and Lumberton is a common carrier shortline but heavily reliant on the timber industry, Moriarty featuring a large mill complex. The line to Lumberton climbs into the hills and crosses large ravines - hence the bridge scene in the overlap. I’m really excited by seeing a concept and prototype that is being adapted and used by a different creative - interpreted through his hand. This post is an encouraging support and marker, but with no expectation of progress or completion.  I thought the idea deserved sharing, the models too…


Simon has been a a great support to me - helping me bring several books to the world. It was with a thank you last year that I created a pair of Moriarty and Lumberton pulpwood wagons - and I was honoured that the M&L 44t was given a test run on Coalbridge Street at Larkrail. She looked very much at home…

The idea of using an obscure fictional or altered prototype short-line to create a small compact cameo style layout is nothing new, but the energy I have found through the freedom to explore unknown prototypes and find inspiration across the Atlantic has been wonderful and I do believe that Coalbridge Street is the most successful of the Pont-y-dulais trilogy. I hope Simon finds the same release. Until next time, more soon…




Support my work

I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee, where regular memberships start from just £1.

Comments

  1. Hi James

    That is an interesting variation of your plans by Simon. I hope it makes it to fruition.

    Using forty four tonners for a wood products short line reminds me of the Thurso and Nation Valley in Quebec, the Arcata & Mad River in California, the Valley and Siletz in Oregon. I never saw any of those operating (although I have some photos and notes) but did see the V&S lokey when it was being used as the Stimson Lumber mill switcher at Gaston in 1999.

    In truth, while I really like those GE units they were not much used in the lumber industry except as mill switchers, so would stay close to Moriarty in Simon’s scenario, but then as we know “it is his railroad”

    As you know, I have amassed quite a library of material and photos, so if you think I can help Simon at any time let me know

    Best regards
    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alan - I will pass the message on to Simon, I'm sure he will be appreciative when the time comes.

      Delete
  2. I must admit, I know next to nothing about North American railroads, but I have always loved the idea of creating my own shortline. The creativity and freedom that offers really does appeal. It's great to hear exploring such ideas has brought you a "release".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dave, I think there is something to be said of the naivety we have to prototypes from distant shores... I found myself getting lost down several rabbit holes though, they are a real treasure trove - you often don't need to invent anything!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.