Sand Hutton Hunslet in 009...

Where has this come from? I've always had a soft spot for the 18" Hunslet well tanks built for Deptford and later to Sand Hutton...

Now yes, in 4mm scale I should be building this for 6mm track, but the Minitrains Fiddletown and Copperopolis 0-4-0 locomotive chassis with it's 16mm wheelbase is almost spot on for these cute little locomotives so I figured why not do one in 009, it's not a prototype you see very often.
So I managed to pick up a copy of the excellent book re-published by RCL on the Sand Hutton whilst at the Vale of Rheidol on Sunday, and with that, a pencil and some note paper plans started to hatch. Now I'm normally one to show loads of progress photos or use technology but tonight I just switched back to good old fashioned hand tools and plasticard (and a bit of brass) and I'm really chuffed with how things have progressed. I have a few more bits to add to the cab before trying to track down some tube section for the boiler and domes - and see if I can persuade someone to turn me a chimney!
More soon...



Comments

  1. I'll be interested to see this develop - the SHLR wasn't too far from my home, very much my part of the world.

    I first read about in Humphary Household's book and and have been fascinated with it ever since! Ken Hartley's second edition has been a treasured part of my library for a good few years and the third edition buiilds on that wonderfully. A great book!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.