Commission: Simplex 60S in 7/8ths...

This time last year I was about to give up the day job to start a career in illustration and commission model making, and I spent my December scratchbuilding myself a Motor Rail Simplex 40S. It seems fitting then, that the latest commission on my work bench is another Motor Rail Simplex, this time the larger 60S...
The model is 2ft gauge, running on 45mm track, and uses a similar PDF Models custom chassis to my own model, combined with Micron RC radio gear and a Strikealite battery pack. The majority is scratch built, including some custom designed 3D printed acleboxes I produced, but where possible it doesn't make sense to duplicate parts already available from other suppliers, so the buffer blocks, sandboxes, tractor seat and radiator are from Model-earth (thanks Si, great parts!).
The design, although similar to the 40S, is actually wider, but the bonnet is shorter. That has meant I've had to adjust how the components are laid out, but it all seems to be coming together nicely.
Modelmaking is a skill where a balance is struck between fidelity, believability and what is achievable. Successful models are where that balance is consistent across the model, and that is what I strive to achieve. That means in 7/8ths you will find me adding rivet and bolt head details, but not every single rivet, as this can make the model appear too toy like. That balance is hard to strike, but I hope that I'm on the right track, excuse the pun, with the level of detail on this one!
I still have got to start adding the pipework and cab controls, so this will progress over the next week or so between other projects. More soon...

Comments