Russell in 009...

At ExpoNG at the end of October I picked up a Russell from Robex. The model is a 3D print, and is a direct fit on the Roco HF110 chassis, even including the screw holes to retain the body over the motor...
I've had a soft spot for the cut-down Russell, but couldn't bring myself to work with the ex-Chivers white metal model, and never found the prospect of assembling a Backwoods chassis particularly conducive to seeking one out. Of course, there are problems with one piece prints, where the rivet detail can cause surface issues where the support wax can leave a ridge in the print. This is usually quite difficult to remove, and although the cab area has been relatively easy to smooth, the rivets around the front of the tanks have proved quite troublesome. I used a primer and then smoothing with a blade, and wet and dry, through a few cycles and I believe it is now acceptable.
To model Russell as based in Purbeck at the end of it's working life, I used photos in the Twelveheads press book to add and remove detail. I modified the tank rivet patterns, and added a greedy board to the coal bunker. I also fabricated a top feed and sand box actuator levers. Ideally, it should feature a trailing axle (at Norden the front pony truck was removed as thought to be the cause of derailments) but I will keep it as is, and look forward to progressing it further between working on customers projects. More soon...

Comments