A life in tools...

Every day I pick up the same handful of tools that I've owned for well over 25 years. I think this goes to show that it's always best to pay a little more for the things we 'touch' the most, as they will give years of service, become comfortable in our hand and just be nice to use...

So a little different today, no trains, but a posed photo of my top 5 tools, and all of these are childhood tools, many bought by my Dad. 

Number 1: Metal ruler. this is used probably more than any other tool, I use it when working on models, from drawings, cutting, straight lines, drawing straight lines. It's not long, so it fits in the box, it's not chunky so is nice in the palm, is thin so can be used even as a bookmark! I believe I was given it as a christmas gift from a supplier on my Year in Industry in 1998, back when that sort of thing was common.

Number 2: Exacto blade handle. This tool can be used for either cutting with a blade or razor saw. I prefer curved blades, they have a point you can use for cutting and scoring, but the curved edge is great for parting off detail on existing models, or smoothing rough spots on models. The handle is comfortable in the hand, and the increased grip it gives over my metal handled scalpel style handle is often welcome, especially when doing a lot of cutting. This is one of my Dad's tools - and one I seemed to inherit even before he passed away nearly 10 years ago.

Number 3: Tweezers. I have two pairs of tweezers but these are the 'go to' pair. These are my Dad's too! Good spring on them, comfortable in the hand, truly stainless so if you get glue or paint on them they clean up with a blade and are as good as new. I have a locking pair too, but these have a serrated mouth which actually makes it harder to hold small items, and the lock is annoying!

Number 4: Minicraft vice. This small drill vice was bought by my Dad for me one Christmas, probably around 1994. I use it all the time for holding small parts, either for cutting, or to just aid working on them. It's portable, I can use it wherever I'm working. It's not lovely to hold, or look at, in fact I've often wondered about replacing it with something finer, but never have. I do have a few bench vices from a small one in the workshop to a large one in the shed, but these don't see anywhere as much use as this small cheap and cheerful example. 

Number 5: Minicraft pliers. My Dad baulked at the cost of these back in 1993 when he bought them. I was building my first etched chassis and he said we needed needle nose pliers. These were not cheap, the miracle point is a neat small triangular nose, serated jaw and even after such heavy use over many years they still close neatly to a point. I love these pliers. I've since bought more traditional 'quality' needle nose pliers and they're not a patch on these Minicraft ones. The serated jaw means it really does grip small items, it produced neat bends, things don't ping off as the jaws still align when closed to give a firm grip. The handles are worn but the head is working as well as the day they were bought.

All these tools feel good in my palm. I'd be lost without them, they don't just work, they carry a lifetime of memories and the feelings of those permeate as I continue to create models and miniature creations for both myself and my customers. Other tools come and go, for example, I treat my airbrushes as a 'wear' item - but these small hand tools are special and will be cherished, and maybe one day handed over to a new model maker. In the meantime, cherish your own tools, and share your experience. I'd love to hear what you think. More soon...

Comments

  1. James,
    An interesting but not unexpected selection of essential tools. I would add the following items: A small Eclipse brand, engineers try square, cutting mats in various sizes from A5 up to, A2 (A5 and A3 get the most use), an Eclipse pin chuck with three collets that will take small drill up to 2.5mm dia, and last but by no means least a 'swiss' triangular file.
    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Geoff, a good selection... it's interesting to see what people reach for the most in their tool box. I was trying to pick the most used 5 items... I'd love a real Swiss file, perhaps one day I'll treat myself!

      Delete
  2. I was given a handful of Genuine Swiss files and diemakers' rifflers by my toolmaker Uncle when I was 14. That was 53 years ago and I still have them in a drawer in my Snap On mini rollcab, my son bought me for Christmas about 15 years ago when he was actually using his Snap-on cab with big boys' tools working on classic racing cars. I reach into that drawer constantly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.