Assembling valve gear...

I'm currently working on a commission build in 0-14, assembling a Chivers WDLR Hunslet...

It's a great kit, clean parts, multi-media in an old fashioned sense making best use of a range of cast and etched materials, however it's not all good...

It's doing my head in because each step is made harder by the lack of numbered parts and in-adequate instructions. In recent years I've assembled numerous etched kits, and although this isn't bad, and the part fit is good, it's just taking longer than needed and introducing a level of anxiety the builder doesn't need. I've managed using prototype photos to get this far but there is one part I just can't fathom - and will have to scour the web for photos of others kit builds to see how they've done it.

What's the solution? The instructions include exploded diagrams, and some of the etched parts are numbered, but these aren't referenced in the written instructions or on the diagrams. I don't think this should be rocket science in this day and age, indeed when I've designed more complicated kits I've included both a diagram of the etch, with numbered parts, and tried to use diagrams and the same part references in the words. If these older kits are re-released it would be relatively easy to add part numbers in the instructions and that would go a long way. Some of the sprued parts could also be included by photos or diagrams with reference numbers. I don't believe these sorts of short cuts in effort on the kit designers parts are good for the hobby... and on the flip side, if anyone ever builds one of my kits and has a problem then feel free to get in touch and I will add clarifying comments or diagrams in my instructions as I don't want to be contributing to the problem!

Comments