Commission: Plymouth 1:24 in primer...

I've been building a model of a 2ft gauge Plymouth diesel in 1/2" scale for the past few weeks now, and it's been an enjoyable distraction from my usual small scale kits, and large scale models, sitting in the middle size wise...

It's a cute little thing, and the blend of laser cut, 3D printed and hand made plastic and metal parts has been pulled together by a unifying grey primer. My customer had built one of these many years ago in a smaller scale - my build has been a labour of love, trying to capture as many of the details and character of the original model whilst working to the drawing.
The engine, pedals and gear lever are from a 1:24 scale truck - these have been incorporated and now feel part of the model. I do like how the hand scribed planks fit around these, and the fuel tank tucked under the seat...
...the dash includes a few dials and buttons based upon my customers recollections of his model and the prototype. The foot steps are bent up from brass strip, so should be reasonably robust. The finishing touch will be adding a front bar grill that I've designed and am having etched, however until this appears I will begin filling, smoothing and then painting this model, a black chassis and orange bodywork. Note in these photos the roof isn't fixed in place.
My final photo is just to show the size of this model for my British readers... the Ruston is a OO gauge industrial, which shows just how chunky 1:24 is, the Plymouth is a small prototype and the scale gives you the chance to try to represent textures and bolt heads, with real character.

If you've got a model or prototype that has a special meaning for you, then why not see if I can work with you to bring it to life and create something that evokes memories and feelings of the past. In the meantime, more soon...

Comments

  1. Wow! Brilliant James! That's a great looking model...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jeff - hope you're keeping well despite current pandemic.
      The model has been a great tonic to my usual commissions!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.