S13u in H0: further details...

I've decided to take it a little easier with commissions this week, and focus on Planet Industrials. This has given me back a little more modelling time and I've really enjoyed making a bit more progress with this Kaslo Shops kit of the S13u...

I've spent a bit of time working on the under frame, studying photos to allow me to get some sort of representation of the pipework along the visible framing. I hope my work in brass and styrene once painted will go some way to fool the eye into thinking its all there!
On the roof I've added a suitable 3 chime horn, salvaged from one of my old childhood models. It's a brass casting, either Miniatures by Eric or Details West IIRC.
The etched bottom steps on each corner were what determined the width of the steps, and they look good fitted, but studying photos these are a little thin compared to the prototype - but I suspect once handrails re added this may be less obvious.
In other news, I've been somewhat distracted by N gauge, and pondering whether I've made the right decision looking at H0... I'd initially discounted it because of the amount of existing stock I have in H0, but looking at Grant Eastman's Southern Alberta (thanks to Paul over at Albion Yard) I wonder whether what I really need is a N gauge empire! I absolutely love the 60 scale miles on Grant's layout and some of his scenic work (later in the video) is breathtaking. For now, I think I'm happy with H0, and perhaps this idea will roll around in my head for while before I decide, and in the meantime, this is a happy distraction from British OO and commission work, as well as giving me lots of new things to get lost in research, it's all part of the journey. Until next time, more soon...


Comments