Friday Update: Nine Ten Twenty...

My step-daughter said last night 'where has the week gone' and she's right, it seems to have flown by. It's a phenomenon I've noticed a lot in the autumn as the days shorten each seems to pass more quickly...
First up this week the large scale Hudson Hunslet's in 7/8ths, where things have moved on to the finishing touches. I've cut some mesh to size and this has been fitted to three of the models (the fourth is currently paused, as it will be modelled on a prototype which means some of it's parts are different). This is edged in 0.6mm brass rod and then some plastic L section cut down to form welded on securing tabs, and nut and bolt heads added to replicate it being bolted to the front of the radiator. I've had the cab parts laser cut, despite lock down Steve very kindly posted them to me, so these three will be ready for paint by this time next week.
Sneaking in the background the 1/2" scale Edaville Plymouth - more on that shortly.

I've received a revised prototype for the Planet Industrials Ruston 165DE kit. The prototype proved the concept and fit of parts, but the wheelbase has ended up too far towards the back of the model - so that the there was a 3mm difference between front and back overhang. I adjusted the CAD, as well as adding the missing radiator side foot hole and ordered a second - hopefully final - prototype. This one will be primed and finished a say own model - a revised etch with a more robust front grill is on the way, just I need to decide on the livery, I'd like something different to my other machines but not too garish... we'll see what I turn up... 
So the Edaville Plymouth, my customer has kindly supplied an engine and parts from a 1:24 scale truck he cannibalised - and it arrived from Canada this week. I cut this down and fitted it neatly before beginning work on the cab structure in 40 thou (1mm) styrene.
I'm enjoying this build as it's a craftsman model as in I'm doing the bodywork all by hand and eye rather than relying on CAD and technology. The model (seen with the HH above) now has front and rear windows, interior detailing including pedals, stick shift, fuel tank under the bench seat, small dashboard and the bonnet has been finished off... I'm waiting for an etched grill to protect the radiator and next up I'll add a distressed planked floor to the cab, before moving onto the footboard and cab step, handrails and last few details.
Finally, I spent a one evening reviving my Proto2000 GP20. This has suffered from split axle gears as many did, and so I raided an old Athearn blue box GP40 that I'd never finished for it's wheels and hey presto, or should that be proto, we have a working model. It's interesting to compare to the Bachmann S4 also pictured. This is a newer model and although the motor is a little noisy, the drive is so quiet and smooth, from a real crawl. The GP20 was my best running model back in the day, smooth and powerful, but despite this it's not a fan of slow speed, even my ageing SW1500, another Athearn blue box model, is slower (if a little coggy). 
This is the total stock, so far, for the new layout. Two items 'complete' on the left, and four more wagons in progress... the newly arrived Central Vermont box car (a newsprint one I think) and the 16000 gallon tank recent eBay purchases. The Kadee CN blue box car is so lovely it's going to be hard to weather it! The next item to be brought to life is the repainted Lifelike covered hopper though, centre front. I am hoping my Kaslo shops MLW S13 arrives soon, I have tracked it and it's finally arrived in the UK but hasn't cleared customs yet, expecting to have to pay VAT but no duty. It will be good to see this and work out what's required, and how much the Bachmann chassis needs modifying to work with the kit, as it listed the Bachmann S3 or Prototype SW1200 as possible donors, and the latter is a rare model in the UK. The S3 presumably is a typo, as I could only find S4s listed. The RS3 is a completely different model. Anyhow, we'll see when it arrives, and if necessary I will need to source another donor model. 

I'm hoping to have a quieter weekend, less decorating, however there are several doors in the hall and lounge that could do with painting, so I will probably tackle that... I'm also contemplating taking next week off, as I've not had a holiday this year apart from the one week I had in July in Scotland. Not that we can go anywhere, but I'm beginning to feel a little burnt out, understandable given the time of year and pandemic, but nevertheless I don't want to be tired going into the winter. I hope you have a good weekend, and I'll be back again with another Canadian update tomorrow. Until then, more soon...

Comments