S13u in H0: Marked out...

I've been working on the H0 scale MLW S13u in the background between commissions over the past few weeks since it was last shown in primer, and it's exciting to see it coming to life...

The first step was to spray the cab front, back and bonnet front in a orange/red mixed from Humbrol gloss orange and crimson. Once thoroughly dry, this was painstakingly masked and a I mixed up a Humbrol gloss black and grey to mix a very dark grey. Again left to harden for a few days I was ready to apply some transfers.

I'd decided to model 8704, if you recall. I bought a set of transfers a month or so ago from a Canadian shop 'TMR Distribution', marketed by 'SGS'. The A4 sized sheet and a bit provides for all the styles and sizes of CN locos between 1961-1990, and is extensively illustrated with a graphic showing where to apply the various markings - however I studied photos of 8704 to accurately place the markings. 

I love the gold numbers, edged in grey, these look superb on the model. The yellow striping was cut into sections to fit along the sole bars between the stanchions. The CN logos needed the door handles removing - but with Micro-set and Micro-sol set beautifully neatly over the door and hinge detail. The most difficult part was putting the numbers on the cab end and in the hood number boards, but patience prevailed.

I'll leave the model now for a few days before wafting on some dull-cote, then dry again before weathering - and finally glazing, hoses and couplings (you might spot one hose in place - I wanted to check I'd drilled a large enough hole for these). It's still a few weeks away from completion, but an enjoyable project for the Canadian plans, and perfect for the Halifax setting - although I have a suspicion I'll be told by those in the know that they didn't leave the container terminals on road switching duties around Halifax and Dartmouth. In the meantime, I hope you've enjoyed the few photos - more soon...

Comments

  1. This is looking great, James! The 8700s certainly did get around the Halifax area... this David Othen video shows them over at Autoport on the Dartmouth side.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WMmBqWg6Kk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve - awesome to have you visiting here, love your blog.
      That is good news, I was originally planning just a terminal operator short line which would have allowed me much greater freedom but the Bram Bailey CN Atlantic Region book was a bit of an inspiration so as well as the S13 I’ve a Rapido RSC14 pre-ordered.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.