New life into old models...

I've been working on a pair of older models alongside building the MLW S13u. I like the fact that this breathes life into the project quickly, and establishes a connection to the past...

A thread, if you like, through my model making. I modelled Canadian HO as a teenager, 15 or so onwards for a few years. The models therefore are mid 1990s vintage, and many of them are either badly weathered (we all start somewhere) or poorly detailed. However, as I've done with the Intermountain hopper and Walthers boxcar recently, I've cherry picked what's there and identified a few models that could be re-used with work. 

Unlike the previous projects where a simple weathering was all that was required these pair of covered hoppers needed a little work. The ribbed side one is a Lifelike Proto2000 and the other is an Atlas. These are destined to be weathered 'layout' models - i.e. detailed and weathered to fit in a scene, rather than stand out as individual models. That means I'm happy to live with their 20 year old detail, their solid roof walks etc... the end ladders are much finer than my other models, and the mouldings are crisp. They had both been repainted into pseudo Canadian liveries in my teens, and so needed rubbing down and cleaning up first. I then found I had a set of Potash based transfers, and two sets seems to be fairly generic and a search on photo archives online showed that they were used on service other than Potash as both are now more generically leased, and I decided that the colour of these in particular would appeal and blend well on my proposed layout.


I custom mixed colours from browns, oranges and a crimson... and applied the transfers using Micro-set and sol over a gloss finish before applying a sealing coat of lacquer, dull-cote. I'm pleased they're subtlely different shades and will look great weathered - however for now, I'm waiting a week or so for the dull-cote to fully dry and harden so that this isn't adversely effected by the washes that both cars will under go.

It's been a nice distraction, and felt good to bring old models back to life. I've got nearly enough stock for my plans now, so next I need to begin work on the proposed layout. More on that another time. I hope this post shows you that those 'older' models need not be thrown out with the raft of high quality items now available. If you take the time to breathe life into them it can be a cost effective and emotionally rewarding process. Have a go... until next time, more soon...


Comments