First tree for Beaverbrook…

Having only begun my tree making adventures in late 2020, after previously relying on examples made by my Dad 30 odd years ago I still feel very much a beginner…


My first serious attempt was for series of trees for Kinross, however it has been nearly 12 months since I last twisted wire so a quick refresher of Gordon’s book and reviewing Google Earth I decided to try a tree for Beaverbrook as a quick Christmas week project, even if only a placeholder it will help scene composition at the left hand end of the layout…


Starting with copper wire I begin by twisting pairs together, then combining these and combining again to create branches and the shape of the tree, however here I didn’t have anything to work from apart from the prototypes shape and colour. I decided to keep this first trial one quite small, scene composition might mean I remake it a little larger at a later date. Once happy with the general shape of the branches I mix PVA, Burnt Umber acrylic paint, filler and a little water into a thick paste and paint the truck and branches, this is a flexible yet smoothing addition and easier than the Milliput my Dad used to try and use many years ago!


Once this had dried I painted on some scenic cement on the limbs and sprinkled on 6mm static grass fibres by hand, ensuring a good coverage at the tips and junctions of each branch. The armature is seen above to check its size and shape in position on the layout. I noticed a few places that needed more filler and the base of the trunk felt like it needed fattening up a little too! Once dry I painted the whole tree including the grass fibres in Humbrol Matt 72 thinned a little with white spirit.


Some aging Woodland Scenics foliage mat was teased out in small pieces to cover each branch tip. Once happy I teased out a few larger sheets to cover the whole tree, whilst giving an airy feel. This was fixed in place with Matt lacquer spray, more foliage material from Green-scenes was added and then sealed with more spray. Seen above this tree makes me smile, it’s by no means perfect but it felt easier than earlier in the year, enjoyable even, a lovely way to spend some down time and even as just a place holder, a reasonable first attempt never the less. There are a few other trees I’ll need to build, none of them particularly established, which is almost harder than larger older structural trees.

What I love about this hobby is that you never stop learning, I started this layout with the intention it was a 5+ year project and that feels like just the right pace to practice and learn techniques whilst I continue to collect, build, detail and weather rolling stock! Until next time, more soon… 

Comments

  1. I'm about to start refurbishing some trees from the Cadeby layout. Like Bonsai I find it really useful to revisit them occasionally with a very fine pair of scissors to trim those fibres that over time take on an unrealistic curl.

    I've never counted all the individual trees in my garden, it is 60+, but looking at them at this time of year I'm always struck by many thoughts: How different they are from each other. How the pattern of the branches varies depending on the age of the growth, and how different they are in leaf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should expand on "How the pattern of the branches caries depending on the age of the growth" because I think it is quite key, but have only just realized it! Let us take as an example my solitary silver birch. The lower mature branches have a pronounced S shape , and are all on the leeward side. Furher up on the windward side of the tree they are straight, on the leeward side the curve upwards. the higher up the tree the more straight the main branches are. The network of small branches is densest, and most fern like, at around 3/4 the height of the tree. a lot of that growth is hanging downwards, but the growth on the top 1/8 of the tree is almost all vertical.

      Delete
    2. Thank you James, yes certainly right about a little trim to remove stray hairs. The lacquer seems to shrivel the smaller ones away but I need to trim a few spots. I’ve also made a start on the second tree armature shown in the photos above. This has proved much harder as it represents quite a young example.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.