Happy Christmas to me…

I’ve had a relaxing week or so away from the blog, and from my workbench. Playing games, seeing family, reading and scheming. I was lucky enough to net a few train related presents at Christmas…


Back in 1989 I remember watching a pair of Canadian National GP38-2 switching at Drumheller. A few years later I kit bashed them from Athearn units… this Christmas I picked up a second hand GP38-2LW from Athearn Genesis. It’s an early one with the original Tsunami sound and bulbs rather than LED but it’s smooth and quiet and the sound captures the character of a non-Turbo GP38 wonderfully… a real contrast to the otherwise similar GP40… I’ve run it about on Beaverbrook nicely, in time it will be lightly weathered to fit in with the other stock on the layout.


As well as a lovely Dale Sanders photo journal on the Rio Grande in 1989/1990 I also picked up the Shay book, this is one incredible piece of work and so easy to navigate once you realise how to cross reference the various tables to find full information. There are many more hours to be had lost in its pages, in the meantime though back to the workbench this week for a few personal projects to warm up to commission work again next week.

I hope you’ve had a relaxing period with friends and family, and enjoyed spending time lost in your own projects too! 2022 promises to be an exciting year with several big projects planned some of which you all know about and others I’m keeping under my hat a little longer. Until next time more soon…

Comments

  1. Love that GP38 - definitely a good branch line unit for Beaverbrook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, the prototype often works the area even today, and wide cab GP38s have been seen on the real Beaverbrook. Videos on YouTube show them…

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.