Commission: Northumberland Barclay…

Before Christmas I made a good start on a pair of industrial 00 models for a good customer of mine, unfortunately the etched plates got caught up in the Christmas post and arrived after I had finished for the holidays…


The first of these now complete is this Hattons Barclay that has been fitted with a Planet Industrials cab conversion and modified to represent NCB Northumberland area’s 56. This meant specific details like lowering the dome, the chimney and bending the whistle to lie flat on the roof.


The finish requested was ‘as per the supplied photos’ which meant the maroon lined straw livery was well past its best! I started with Humbrol ‘crimson’ 21 let down with some brown 133. This retained enough gloss to allow decals to be applied directly. I designed and had these made specifically for the model. Once sealed with a new product to me, Humbrol ‘clear’ in a Matt finish I weathered the mode using my usual 4 stage deluxe method of wash, detail painting, airbrush and dry brush, with frequent reference to photos for colours, textures, patterns and overall effect.


The result is full of character and dare I say, it’s understated nature really pops vs the prototype kit I built with the full NCB lettering. There are a few models in this commission so expect to see a few more appear in the coming weeks and months. 


If you have a particular prototype you’d like to recreate get in touch for a personal proposal. We will discuss the model, options for sourcing and building, finish, etc and you will get a realistic and fully costed price that covers the complete model. I love to work with my customers throughout the creative process, you will feel very much at one with the end result. Get in touch using the contact form, Facebook or the forums. Until next time more soon…

Comments