Trees for Kinross...

For many years I’ve recycled trees my Dad made when I was a child, creating a thread through time connecting my creative output of the present with that of his past...
Christmas 2019 I began making my own trees following Gordon Gravett’s techniques in his wonderful scenery books published by Wild Swan (I’ve recently purchased the third of the set, the coniferous trees one, having the deciduous trees and grassland books already). His photographs, explanations and written style are a real joy to read, absorb, reflect and put into practice. A natural progression in confidence has led to me finally feeling able to let go of my Dad’s trees, letting that thread continue through my own skills rather than connecting more physically to the past. 

This trio I’m particularly pleased with, I’ve been working from photos of Kinross and Uigg on Price Edward Island as well as using Google Streetview and Earth to check the shapes and types against the prototype as it is today. Starting each twig at a time, building up a tree to its trunk and then planting it feels a natural development process... the looking at the tree from different angles as you see it grow before you, a sculpture inspired by nature but created by your own minds eye. It’s a wonderful pastime and I’m looking forward to adding some greenery to this trio next, happy to feel like I’ve acquired another skill, and one I can in time weave into my own models... until next time, more soon...

Comments