Commission: Dolgoch (again) in 009...

In March last year I put together a Narrow Planet Dolgochification kit for a customer, enjoying the process immensely, so I’ve been delighted to have the chance to work on another...
 
The model appeared recently in primer, the paint has now been completed and she has decals, windows and a coal load. The bodywork, as last time, is a mix of three Humbrol colours to try and match the lustre of the prototype in model form. This is approximately one part of 133 (Brown), one 220 (Red) and two parts 18 (Orange). Applied by airbrush to the body, and brush to the wheel centres and cylinders this mix dries with a good gloss finish so transfers are readily applied without additional lacquer. The footplate and cab roof are Matt black (33) and the rods and buffer beam are Signal red (174). I used a Gamesworkshop paint for the brass work, which is perhaps a little warm in tone but I think it works well with the body colour to give that feel of the prototype.
The transfers are from DTB models. I find that if the pack I need isn’t in stock, a quick email to Dan tends to sort that out in some way or another, these are well measured and provide a great finish to the model.
Inside the cab you’ll note I’ve added the pale coloured top sheets not an easy task with such a narrow door way but essential to the character. The etches works plates provided in the kit were painted cleaned up and fitted before the model was then sealed with a coat of Dull-cote (I’ve still got a few cans left before I exhaust my supply). The final step was to add real coal to the bunker and flush glazing using Deluxe ‘Glue n glaze’.
Finally a comparison with my own Porter, showing a transatlantic difference in our small locomotives! If you’ve got a kit in the drawer awaiting your attention, or you’ve seen a model on my blog you’d like to own yourself, then get in touch for a personal proposal and let me commission build your dream a reality. You can get in touch through the form on my website, Facebook or the forum messaging systems. In the meantime, more soon...

Comments

  1. Interesting that you used glue and glaze for the spectacle plates.perhaps it’s the way that I use it, or, perhaps old stock but it never turns out as I like it.yourslooks great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Philip, there is a slight miniscus effect, it works best on smaller windows like these are, but I’ve used it up to about 6mm diameter. If used in etched cab front or backs the miniscus is non-existent, the thicker the material the more pronounced it becomes. I find it’s east to add too much of the glue n glaze, I usually start with a little wipe around the whole circumference and then add a bit more, but the effect of pre-wetting the frame in effect seems to control how much stays on the window and how much comes away on the wire or toothpick. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  2. Thanks James. I will try your suggestions I future. It,s interesting that you mention that it worked better on an etched model. I had been using on plastic road vehicles. That might be my problem.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.