Power of pre-shading...

I use an airbrush, I treat it as a tool not a priceless possession and it is invaluable in producing not only the fine finish of paintwork but the subtle weathering on my models...
Pre-shading is something I’ve experimented with on different models over time, be it the first batch of large scale Hudson Hunslet or the Peckett conversion kit. I’ve tried different colours over time but the basic premise is the same. Applying a darker colour under the main colour, around the edges of panels and on seam lines visually breaks up the finish. It is a technique stolen from the military modeller, and you can go too far, but when practiced carefully it gives a wonderful variation to the finish without relying on washes for panel lines which can, on a flat surface with only perhaps rivets to show the joint, look a little heavy handed.
This 40ft boxcar is a case in point. A 20 year old model from tooling even older, I’ve replaced a few grabs with wire, but the visual interest is not the detail, rather that subtle mottled effect of the paintwork. This was created all in one sitting, I applied Matt black to the edges of the sides, and along the rivet lines, amd darkened the panel where the door opens over, as well as adding the same effect on the roof. As this dried I cleaned the airbrush quickly to allow me to spray the brown over the top. I used a finer 0.35mm diameter airbrush with small top cup for this, I usually reserve for weathering or smaller models, but it held sufficient paint for this larger one. The finer tip allowed for control over the width of the pre shadings and it meant I could build up the brown more slowly, allowing this to show through the final finish.

I’m afraid there is no substitute for an airbrush in my opinion. It is not the only tool in your belt, but it is such an important one. My most recent one was around £100 on eBay for a compressor and pair of brushes, and they’ve lasted 4 years of heavy use. I think if you’ve never tried using one, or have one sat idle, dig it out amd have a go, see what tou can achieve. Until next time more soon...

Comments

  1. Once again I find myself agreeing with you James... "Modern" rattle cans have come a long way, but a decent airbrush is still better. I've been spending more time at the paint both lately (painting 3D printed details) and I continue to be impressed at how controllable painting with an airbrush can be. To add to that, the finish is second to none...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think many are put off by the fanatics who insist these tools need treating better than your loved ones, and absolutely cleaner than clean... they are tools, they require skill, but can be easily mastered. I’m looking forward to getting this one labelled up soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All good points... Our airbrushes (my middle son uses one for his military modeling) are hardly cleaned to a "like new" condition after every use. But they function properly, which is what matters. If they don't, they get stripped down and cleaned with solvent, after which they're back to "new" condition.

      Maybe airbrush use is a bit like soldering... Considered a "black art" by too many of our fellow modelers, they are too afraid to just give it a try. Neither are difficult.

      Delete
    2. You sound like you treat it like me Jeff, it’s a tool that is there to be used. Take care of it but don’t be scared. I always use solvent cleaner in mine after every session to keep it fresh.

      Delete
  3. I use my 'brush in the dining room, with a portable spray booth. Setting up, spraying, then putting away can take as little as half an hour. Opening a door or window keeps the smell down, as does using acrylics. Just be careful not to spill!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Paul, half an hour is easily possible for a small job. I dislike working with acrylic though, too unpredictable for someone as set in their ways as I am! I never got on with it when I was younger, and it ruined my first splatter gun airbrush by drying inside. I’ve never trusted it since!

      Delete
  4. Nice, subtle, shading. I find a lot of military modellers over-emphasise the colours both dark and light. This is much more realistic.

    And yes, and airbrush is just a tool. Possibly more complex than a hammer, but just a tool all the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Phil, it always fascinates me which of my blogs evoke the most comments. I’m glad several fantastic modellers have commented in support of my view. I hope readers are encouraged to give it a go!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.