Writing instructions watching the snow...

Every one of the kits I've designed over the years has an important step towards the end of development, writing the instructions...
In place of this week's Friday update, as I've not been back at work properly, I have decided to write a little about this process. Over the years I've taken the template that Steve developed for the first ever NP kit, the Baguley Drewry diesel, and evolved it into the colour banner and illustrated instructions used in the latest Planet Industrials kits.
Often the finished prototype is a good enough illustration for these, with some notes, comments and diagrams - but in the case of my first chassis kit, I thought we probably needed something more descriptive. Initially I thought about step by step photos, but decided that drawing the whole chassis in CAD would be easier to get exactly what I needed, so that proved to be the case. The ability to orientate and add/remove parts from the assembly was a lot easier than attempting to take photos whilst holding parts - and needing two pairs of hands!
Steve and I are on the home straight now with this project, the last few items are being machined now, the final etch artwork is in production, this chassis will come with a third and new variant of our Hibberd kit, a flameproof model - it is a combination of the cab from the first Planet, and the bonnet section from my one off Devonport example shown above. If the chassis proves to be a success I will be retiring one of the A/B versions, and adding a fourth variant with the square body and built in radiator, also using the new chassis. The chassis will also be used under the Clayton kit, due later this year... understandably Covid and the RTR project have delayed some of the timelines I'd hoped to achieve... I've also been talking to other gear and drive suppliers and have a chassis concept in mind that may allow us to offer inside and outside frame steam/diesel chassis with rod drive - but that's a longer term project. 

In the meantime, I hope you're all staying safe and making the most of another period of quieter reflection and a slowing in the pace of life. I'm sat here writing this looking out the window as snow falls, blanketing the world here in a gentle and peaceful blanket of unifying snow, even the pace of the flurries seems to match my mood and allow me to feel mindful, thankful and take my slow recovery at the right pace. More soon...

Comments

  1. Well, this is cool!

    As we’ve discussed elsewhere I have those American Bachmann 44 tonner diesels and they’re sabotaged by a lousy twin power truck design. Looking over your notes here I started to wonder how hard it would be to create an alternative?

    Something with worthwhile gear ratios like you’re describing here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting question - these motor drive units are actually a lot larger than the 44t bogies, obviously, but if you could retain the 44t trucks, and fabricate a new frame with integral 8x16 motor or something, and use cardan shaft drive to each truck, that might work... as I think you've speculated yourself. I've only got the latest 44t here, so can't comment on how that may or may not work. If you take some photos I'll have a butchers and see what might be possible...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.