Kinross: Crossing the line...

A short update this evening, I've done a little more work on Kinross today, fitting some scenic work between reading with the dog on the sofa...
The stumbling block in my mind for a few days has been the road and the best way to represent it on the layout, flipping back and forth between plaster and clay... In the end I chose to cheat! I wanted a smooth, flat surface, I didn't have any mounting board in stock, but I did have some 30thou black styrene which has the added benefit of being able to be scribed! So I scribed in the planks edging the rail, and cut it to fit perfectly. These were superglued in place, and the edge blended in with filler. Once dry, the filler was touched in with earth colour emulsion and I stippled the same paint onto the whole road surface to begin the finishing process for a metalled road. 
Reading Gordon Gravett's wonderful book to re-aquaint myself with grassland prep, as that's the next stage, I stumbled by accident on Gordon's road surface chapters, which have given me food for thought when I get on to that stage, a happy accident fuelled by relaxing with the dachshund. 
Finally, a milestone as I finished off the ballasting up to the road, and in the spur, and then glued this down with Woodland Scenics 'Scenic Cement' - I use this rather than making my own, as it saves a lot of heartache - it's ready mixed to the perfect consistency, and is pre-wetted so works well - and with half an hour of patience the lot is complete and drying, ready for another relaxing weekend in 5 days time... I hope you've had a good day, and in the meantime, more soon...

Comments