Friday Update: Twenty-two One Twenty-one...

My first Friday Update of 2021, although Covid aftermath and breathlessness, tiredness and fatigue have seen output from my work bench lower than I had hoped I’ve got a few things I can share today...
I’ve been working on a layout design for a customer, inspired by trains north of Warrington on the WCML in the BR blue era. I worked with him to narrow down his requirements and focus with a Layout Design Brief and then helped translate this, based upon his space at home for storage and erection of only a temporary layout, into a scheme along with constructional and design notes, plans and sketches. I find this process deeply satisfying - if you would like some help developing your own scheme, or even me building your dream layout, get in touch for a personal proposal.
By happy accident the paint finish on my Claremont and Concord tank wagon has blistered and burnt around the dome, I suspect the thin application of enamel, which perhaps hadn’t dried entirely, over the original paint rather than primer, and then perhaps a touch heavy application of dull cote led to this effect... which in this case is very convincing for sun scorched paintwork. When I come to weather the car I will be making the most of it, although don’t ask me to repeat this accident!  
For sometime I’ve been developing a back story for the Pi liveried Sentinel, toying with both China Clay and chemicals, but it is the chemical works that has won out and will feature if/when I build the incline based cameo... however, in the meantime I’ve begun badging up the Accurascale PCAs with PiChem markings... if you’ve a penchant for 80s chemical traffic, especially the shorter rakes that were part of the Soeedlink later Emterprise network, then the PiChem transfers are now available to purchase from Light Railway Stores. I’ll be doing a longer blog post with some of the faux history and some modelling ideas at a later date.
The next ‘big’ commission is working on this Backwoods standard gauge Garrett, it’s been partially built, the chassis to an excellent standard, but the finishing work and detailing has been complicated by the etches being reduced to bits here and there and steps completed not clearly marked off on the instructions. I’ve begun sorting this out and hope to make a start soon.
A project I’m working on as an article style write up is reworking the Lima PCA to more modern standards. I’ve sourced some parts from Stenson models with a few more to order, and will be adding the Albright and Wilson bottom load valve and extra roof walk ways if I can. Currently not sure if this will be finished as Albright and Wilson or PiChem for the cameo mentioned above, it will also receive finer wheels possibly in brass bearings as the chassis is quite worn as well as Accurascale sprung buffers and suitable Smiths couplings. 
Finally, an obscure but fun commission, building a model of a home made minimum gauge loco for Paddington. The chassis is a G gauge Bachmann 45t, with a laser cut MDF core to which I will add overlays to represent rough cut planking as if Paddington built the body work himself. It will be an interesting project and with onboard radio control with sound, one I’m looking forward to hearing!

I’m looking forward to some work on Kinross, if I can this weekend, I hope you’re all well and in better health than I am! If you’ve any projects you think I can help with then get in touch for a personal proposal. In the meantime, more soon...

Comments

  1. I've built the Backwoods Garratt - nice kit, but there's a lot of it for a small loco! At least the waggly bits are done, although they are easier on this than most kits thanks to etching at the right thickness so you don't have to laminate the bits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm, I think I know where Paddington is headed....you might want to change minimum gauge to minimal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.