Commission: Dolgoch in the flesh...

I’ve been working on a Bachmann USA Rheneas for a customer in 009, applying the Narrow Planet Dolgochification kit...

This is a kit designed by Stuart Brewer and it’s a pleasure to work with, a multimedia approach with brass castings, nickel silver etch and 3D printed plastic parts. They all fit really neatly with a little tidying up, and the kit can be accomplished using the simplest of hand tools.
These days I don’t often show a model in its own post until it’s completed, but I felt that the naked variety of materials in the kit would be best shown in this manner. The paint was removed from the Bachmann boiler and tanks assembly in a bath of IPA over night and then it just scrubs off really easily.
The customer has requested he is finished as today, so I’ve got the lining transfers sorted and I need to look back at my notes to see how I mixed the custom body colour on the last one I did. I often mix paint by hand to match the project, so although notes aren’t detailed, they will tell me the base colours I used.
Finally, I thought it interesting to compare the Dolgoch, based upon Bachmann’s Rheneas in 009, with my Porter, based on Bachmann’s Percy in N... the latter being larger despite being a tiny prototype. Rheneas is now in primer along with a few other projects, so I can progress them through the paint shop at the same time. 
I’m hoping to feel well enough to begin work on a few commissions of Backwoods kits next week, we shall see how Covid treats me over the weekend, it’s been three and a half weeks of it now. There is unlikely to be a Friday update tomorrow, but I will endeavour to post something of interest. Until next time, more soon...


Comments

  1. While not the subject of the post, that Porter you've built over Percy looks terrific. Previously you've recommended the new Percy chassis and I am still alternating between looking at them and hovering over the Buy It Now button. The comparison to Dolgoch is interesting too, as you note, for the comparison of sizes and just how small Dolgoch is. It must be a cozy workplace up in that cab.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.