Claremont and Concord: Tank wagon decals...

Despite not 'definitely' building a Claremont and Concord layout, I do seem to have acquired a few items for said project, including a Lifelike 8000 gallon tank wagon...
The Lifelike 8000gal tank standing in for the 10000gal of the prototype
Now I know this isn't quite the right prototype, but it's shorter nature suits my needs (minimum space micro) very nicely, and it is (cough cough) to this Brit's un-educated eye 'close enough'. The Claremont and Concord never owned these cars, they were leased from ACFX - but they did carry the lettering. I've hand drawn this from photos, as it doesn't match any available fonts - though I've cheated on the smaller lettering and used a 'stencil' font.
The markings were printed out at 100% and cut out to check the size on the wagon - these look like they'll do the job and despite being a bit short, the wagon will fit the project really nicely. I'm only planning on doing a set for myself and for Chris, but if anyone else wants get in touch through my contact page on the website.
I do enjoy the whole variety of modelling my hobby gives me - from prototype research in books and on the internet, through graphic design in decal design, kit design etc, and physical model making it's a wonderful gift and so many opportunities for some peace of mind. I hope to be able to share progress on this project in the next few weeks, in the meantime, more soon...

 

Comments

  1. Interesting project, the Claremont and Concord features in a few books I have but none of them mention the C&C tank cars, do you know what they were bused for? Your decals are very impressive, the typeface was common to all of the railroads owned by Samual Pinsly but nowhere else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good question... I’m modelling one as it appears to have been used for fuel oil delivery to Coy. I’ve seen similar photos at Claremont paper, presumably for the same purpose.

      Delete
    2. Fuel oil would be my guess too, it’s surprising that it’s a railroad branded car. I suspect that it is some kind of captive service between Coy paper and a fuel dealer, probably off the C&C which would account for going to the expense of leasing the car.

      Delete
    3. I believe it's Bunker C oil used as fuel at Coy Paper and also CPM, both paper mills in Claremont. I'm not sure how many of these the C&C leased and think it's interesting how in a moment of glorious pride they stenciled them for their railroad.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.