Commission: North Korean M62…
“And now for something completely different” - I love my job. Sometimes projects come along that are completely unique. I was asked recently if I could convert a Fleischmann M62 in N scale to the North Korean K62…
Almost without knowing the scope of work I hoped it would come to pass for it just sounded interesting. In fact the conversion was basically just a repaint if the Fleischmann model - so from a modelling perspecfive quite straight forward. That said, the colour choices weee somewhat ‘freehand’ as I couldn’t find any real idea on these and they seemed to vary wildly in prototype photos, I hope I’ve captured something of the real locomotive in miniature.
It is always nice to include a little extra beyond what the customer expects, in this case I drew and had etched some tiny number plates for each cab front. Otherwise the Fleischmann model was nearly as easy to strip down as a Kato - and the paint was certainly softer!
A gentle weathering has brought out the character of this Soviet era design. Brutalist but almost more characterful as a result, I did spend a pleasant hour searching for a cheap second hand model myself - luckily for us all that urge passed as I recognise I’m already have a lot of different projects without adopting another!
My customer is so pleased he is now pondering if it’s possible to create the home brewed electric conversions the North Koreans completed!
If you have a project you’d like help with, of any scope, scale, gauge, get in touch for a no-obligation fixed price proposal. Until next time, more soon…
Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee, where regular memberships start from just £1.




Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.
James.