Commission: V4 an Australian Drewry…
I love the variety of projects that grace my workbench, and never one to turn away an interesting commission I was excited to help a customer in Australia recreate a narrow gauge Drewry shunter for his collection…
The base model is an aging Bachmann split frame Class 04. This of course, is not narrow gauge, nor outside frame. I work with my customers to understand their existing collections, budget and aspirations before taking on a new commission. In this instance, with HO scale track and a variety of scale and gauges already the OO model seemed a good place to start.
Of course the model, sourced second hand, ran well after a simple service. I decided to paint the shape of the fly cranks on the wheel centres, I think this subterfuge has worked quite well. Up top, all of the plastic handrails were cut off and replaced with fine wire, the exhaust replaced and some additional details added to the bonnet front and cab rear including the distinctive marker lights. Buffers were removed too, and some scratchbuilt lifting pads added to each corner.
Finished in brunswick green the model was further lifted by the custom etched ‘cast’ number plates on the buffer beams and the simple V4 markings I designed and sourced on the cab side. My customer didn’t want the model weathered so the finish was sealed with a quality satin lacquer and glazing inserted before re-assembly and careful packing for a journey half way around the world.
If you have a project you think I can help with from a simple renumbering to a complete layout build and everything in between get in touch to explore your requirements and well work up a fixed price proposal. Until next time, more soon…
Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee, where regular memberships start from just £1.



Comments
Post a Comment
Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.
James.