Old ideas stoked by new models…
The arrival of the Rapido 009 models alongside the latest commission layout build have reignited a long dormant flame for narrow gauge modelling in my heart…
This undated sketch recalls a simpler time in my modelling where East Works was still a pipe dream and something small and Welsh felt like the next step beyond the clay heath of Purbeck. It wasn’t built. I was distracted and then returned to clay. Then along came the Bachmann Quarry Hunslet and I walked away from the scale…
Not from narrow gauge though - for my passion and connection to this simpler and more human scale railway continued with frequent visits over the years to lines across the Wales as well as of course the Mecca that is Statfold Barn.
Yet despite these lovely models exciting us all and the energy of a joint project I still feel a little lost amongst it.
For one thing I’ve learnt in all of these years is that I don’t keep many things as they come out of the box! Whatever happens will come from inspiration, a found photograph, that spark of excitement, research and books follow to fan the flame, then a model to build the fire - perhaps a layout to follow… but those meandering rails are a journey, not a destination. I know that as long as I’m enjoying rather than forcing my creativity there are no right and wrong ways here - just my own.
The flush of Ffestiniog models did engage a dalliance in the new fangled ready to run and I almost built a Boston Lodge halt cameo on the heels of the Boston Lodge commission… however that too perished under my perceived expectation of the wider and ‘new’ 009 community.
The flame wasn’t out though… I began a scheme with Steve to create a bit of a different model, selecting personal locations to recreate of a wider ‘what if’ system based in Kent and East Sussex. This had real promise but the energy dropped and for me, it stalled. I still lament selling on the wonderful hand made box van I built for that project.
So here we are - the flame is out. The fuel is low. Is narrow gauge modelling ‘dead’ for me? Then Rapido announce their range and Steve and I work with them behind the scenes to create our own locomotive to go alongside the range of wagons we have commissioned and excitement grows… the energy from anticipation fuels a batch of Peco coaches and a kit bashed station… Steve and I even re-purpose an old layout to build a small part of the L&L… fuel topped up a little, desperately searching for a spark…
Back in the start I didn’t create a Welsh slate railway… I was drawn to the down at heel end of days industrial network shifting ball clay around north of Corfe. Today I wonder if my passion for making could take me outside of the obvious - perhaps to model some narrow gauge in a place I’m unfamiliar with, where Colonial influences led to the cheaper gauge being selected for a railway to nowhere…
I’m meandering again - like those rails less than three feet apart. I’m unsettled and distracted. In danger of starting another project never to be finished.
Until next time, more soon…
Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee, where regular memberships start from just £1.





Inspiration is such a fleeting thing at times James, like glimpsing a kingfisher on a river bank. Sometimes I will go into the railway room all fired up and then the first difficulty or problem can see that positive energy drain away. That's a really interesting little plan, I like the way the track follows the stream. I tried 009 but couldn't quite get past a sense of OO gauge figures and N gauge track, a mash up of scales rather than just one scale, I know that's how my brain sees it but that's definitely not the case at all.There are some truly fabulous 009 layouts out there, anything by George Williamson or yourself for example.
ReplyDeleteKeep going James, it's fair to say that you are encouraging all of us with your plans, models and observations.
Take care.
Thanks Tom. I wonder if I'm drowning in distractions again?
DeleteHi James
ReplyDeleteI have always had a soft spot for 009, back from the days in the mid-60’s, when I had a feeder to my clay hauling branch with a couple of Eggerbahn diesels and v-skips.
I do think one of the problems with the 009 layout mind set is that now most layouts ( not including yours I may say) are really country branch railways narrow gauged or serve some works not rooted in the real world of narrow gauge, at least from 1940 . To me that would make them unsatisfying to build, as I could not find the prototype to relate to. I think the success of your Dorset clay line was that it was based on real lines. To me narrow gauge in the UK at least, is quarries and mines, with notable exceptions like the system at Bowaters or some of the military lines ( the Chattenden & Upnor maybe), and not those passenger/general goods based lines at all. For anything bigger I am, as you know drawn, to the likes of the sugar tramways in the Caribbean, South Africa or Australia
Hope you gain some inspiration for all those nice new 009 models at some stage
Best regards
Alan
I think in the L&L case it’s a well conceived if slightly unlikely scheme - but yes, in general I am in agreement and thank you for the reflections on the success of my previous 009 projects.
DeleteMaybe that's the downside of your job in a way James, chasing multiple butterflies! I think you've achieved more in the last three years within the hobby than I've managed in 30 years. I think the hardest part of railway modelling is turning an idea (which consists of emotion, memories or atmosphere) in to 3D reality.
ReplyDeletePerhaps Tom. A kind reflection, thank you.
DeleteI couldn't agree more with Tom. I don't seem to be capable of turning 2D ideas into a 3D reality. I have so many schemes and projects buzzing around my mind but realising any of them seems remote. This is why I have immense admiration for what you do James. You're an artist.
DeleteThe narrow gauge bug might come back. Despite dabbling in lots of other areas, 009 remains my natural home. So, I do hope we will see you return to it one day. Your Purbeck schemes were wonderful.
I don’t really mind / care about any one part of my collection - so will just continue to follow where I find energy… thanks Dave.
DeleteBit of a late reply, but for some reason I managed to miss this post.
ReplyDeleteI'm another one who's drifted in and out of 009 over the years; I spent a lot of my modelling time from the mid-1980s to the mid-1990s on 009, but mostly got rid of it when 0-14 came along, but returned about 2010ish and built quite a lot of rolling stock.
Like you, the RTR QH cooled me towards 009, yet oddly the Rapido releases make me want to build another layout! I've compared the Rapido with my kit- built stuff and they seem to look OK together and I've also been thinking of something with a continuous run, though I'd be more likely to have a fiddle yard around the back.
I've got a 4'x2' board in the garage but it really feels too bulky to me; I think I'd be inclined to go for something a bit longer and a bit narrower than your 3'x2'...3'6"x20/22" perhaps, as that would fit well in the storage racking which is nominally 4'x2' but has L-shaped uprights so you can't actually get a 4x2 baseboard on it! Be an easier fit in the car, too...
Simon.
We’ll see what happens here - I am waxing and waning and it’s only a week or so ago…
Delete