Friday Update: Twenty-one Eight Twenty-six…

It has been a busy week here with some new commissions starting but slow progress on the existing ones mixed with GCSE results and planning for a week off next. It felt, putting this together that there was less to share, but I’ve managed to cobble together a few photos nevertheless. Let’s take a look…


There are a few big steps left on the current 009 layout build - but I have managed to fit the crane at least. In fact, today should see the scenic items finished off - a bridge behind the sluice gate needs making, painting and fitting and then I can start on the final treatment to the river bank mud. Oh, and the lighting pelmet still needs fabricating! If it’s try today…


The two ‘new’ projects are a pair if repaints, very different in nature but never the less just paint on plastic. I am repainting a Bachmann Jinty into a freelance blue with red lining and this Rapido RSC14 into a ‘European’ export for mining theme. The Jinty is relatively straight forward but the MLW is more involved. It was an undecorated kit from Rapido so required some assembly, and there are modifications to undertake to the chassis frame next… always variety here and I welcome it - keeping things fresh.


Beyond the bench, or should I say above, the stock on Beaverbrook has been swapped out and I’ve been enjoying running the HMLX RS23 with some cement arriving for trans load. There really aren’t many ‘big’ jobs left on this project but the two structures in primer do need some muted shades. It would be nice to think this will happen in the weeks and months ahead - that said, it was a pleasure to be back there, switching / rail fanning and stepping back from the challenges elsewhere in life this week.


There has been something of a sideways step with N scale this week - a Santa Fe (!) GP20 has arrived. My excuse here is two fold… first of all un-ashamed nostalgia for the Cat Mountain and Santa Fe - I’ve always always loved this livery. Second, sharing this journey and excitement with my good friend Chris has taken us from CN and CP branchlines to the shortlines that sprung up in the early 90s… it seems plausible to consider a HMLX angle here - and so 3102 will become HMLX 2002, an ex BNSF GP20u. A light rework of the Lifelike shell will follow but despite its 25 year old vintage it is a sweet little running model.


The weekend may need to see a little work pushed forward with a week off next, with my son visiting. That said, I’m sure there will be time for some modelling, some operating and some reading. Thank you all, as always for stopping by, supporting me through custom, watching ads on YouTube for me or using the donate/buymeacoffee links here - it is all very much appreciated. Until next time, more soon…


Support my work

I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee, where regular memberships start from just £1.

Comments

  1. Morning James. The Cat Mountain and Santa Fe was a favourite of mine too. David Barrow's modular ideas and Spartan scenery were an eye opener to me, and so different from the British layouts at the time. The little 009 layout is looking very good.
    Have a good weekend.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tom, it is funny how many of us fondly remember David’s creation… whilst I have no idea where all these models will lead I’m enjoying the creative freedom they impart.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.