Friday Update: Eighteen Nine Twenty-six...

We are here again, I can’t quite believe it is Friday once again. There have been some new models gracing the bench this week so grab a hot drink and let us take a look…


Last weekend saw the end of the ‘50 years of preservation’ of the Llangollen Railway with a gala and evening beer-ex. This stopped at Glyndyfrdwy on its return and Porters bar was open - so my partner and I  strolled down and enjoyed a pint before they arrived and the spectacle of a completely packed train arrive and all the punters decanted for more beer. It is easy to take it all for granted sometimes - we really are incredibly lucky to live here so close to the railway.


First up this week are a number of etched brass 4mm scale diesel shunter kits. The first to take shape is this Barclay 0-6-0, I had forgotten how lovely it is to watch a collection of flat parts take shape - and the character of the prototype be realised. Judith Edge kits are always well considered but not every step is crystal clearly described in the instructions so an appreciation of the prototype and of general kit assembly does help. The Brush will be interesting with its outside frames, the smaller Barclay is my own - and will be built in EM… (!)


Speaking of EM, this tiny Bachmann Wickham trolley has been re-gauged by gently pulling the wheels out on the axles with a gear puller. Once the pickups are adjusted they seem to stay centred but it wasn’t a great running model to start with so worse case I’ll take the motor out. The next step is to draw up some parts for the enclosed siding fitted to the one that called the Holyhead breakwater home - and there you have it… an 01 and Wickham in EM… explained by a future project with Matt Owen.


I’ve also been working on a trio of small tram models! These Y6 have been modified to fit on a Rapido Y7 - and one has been modified to run skirt-less. There is plenty more detail to add to the basic 3D prints my customer had sourced before these can enter the paint shop, for a trio of colour schemes depicting the prototype through the years.

It has been a little time since I last shared some ‘customer models’ photos - but today I have a trio…

Stephen Lawrence photo.

First up, it was kind of Stephen to pose this scene on the shed diorama of his own construction with two models be purchased from me - 08710 a complete repaint and 37418 a lowered and weathered model. 

Alan Sewell photo.

Alan has set up a mock-up of a future layout in his study - making sense of the MLW RSC14 I finished as an export style unit for his Rio Tinto inspired 4mm scale project.

Stephen Lawrence photo.

Finally, another from Stephen. It was great to hear that Night Shift had made its journey across the pond safely. You can enjoy some of Stephen’s modelling and photography in his RMweb thread here.

Today should see Dawson Creek collected - and with it some space returned to both the workshop and my headspace. It would be nice to use some of this to work on Cwmbach, and possibly Defiance. That said we’ll just have to see how things pan out. I often find other things to distract me from layout building these days!!

I hope you all have a good weekend and enjoyed today’s wrap up of everything here this week. Until next time, more soon…



Support my work

I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee, where regular memberships start from just £1.



Comments