Mosslanda: Defiance - Lid and lights…

A fresh project can be a great tonic. A distraction from procrastination and an opportunity to focus on achievable yet tangible results…

Over the weekend, despite a busy day out on Saturday I made steady progress on Defiance throughout a lazy Sunday. Parts for the lid had been cut and assembled in the week, holes for plug sockets had been drilled so all the enablers were in place - it just needed me to sit down and make it happen. If you’re like me then you know how difficult that can be…


Plugging the soldering iron in was a deliberate first move. A commitment to action. The first stage was to add some feeds to the simple track plan… a craft knife cleaned off some sleepers from the ends of the sections and in short order visible progress… 

From there it was like going through a dress rehearsal. Stages and steps well practiced and comfortable; glue down the track, wire up the DIN socket, add in the power supply, install the lights…

And stop - a decision to be made. What colour temperature do I want? Need?

Before - as delivered…
After - cooled down…

In this scheme I want to include lighting under the canopy, stage right. This will be yellow in colour - and to make a stronger contrast with inside and out I wanted a cooler light in the main box. Our old friend Tamiya clear blue X-23 painted on every other LED has a pleasing effect, as above and will help set off the contrast nicely.


The prototype and Mosslanda concept are very well matched and I’m excited to see the scene taking shape and form - the views possible along the length of the shelf especially. That said, it is also clearly not what I came here for… North American N was Canadian, intended to explore the vast expanse of the prairies. That I’ve had a distraction to Ohio is not a concern, this Mosslanda will provide a helpful stage set to pose finished models, has reminded me why I dislike Peco N scale track and more, will help ‘get my eye in’ to see more clearly how that day dream might become reality to a space starved modeller with too many distractions already… for now then, let’s enjoy the ride. Until next time, more soon…


Support my work

I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee, where regular memberships start from just £1.

Comments