Not another one - the story of 'just one more' Farish 08...
I have more Graham Farish Class 08 than one man can need, yet there is something so very alluring about the model; I keep returning to re-work, to repaint, to detail up - to enjoy...
This latest addition is I tell myself, not a Class 08 at all - but a Class 09 - and I've only got two others (09001 and 09013). However, that is really just a technicality - there are plenty more here including in no particular order 08761, 08791, 08417, 08441, 08993, HO16, 08202 and most recently (but not quite finished) 08994. I also have 08833 and GBRf 004 - these may or may not make it to the permanent collection - along with a handful of BR blue ones I've made and sold - including 08665, 08710 and 08113. To be honest, I feel like I've probably forgotten one in all that too...
So what is it about this diminutive English Electric 330hp shunter that works so well in N? These models, they're just such characterful little things. The newer coreless motored examples run like a swiss watch, smooth and quiet (with a little tweaking) and are the perfect motive power for Paxton Road which continues to entertain... the prototype wore so many coats of different colours, each personalised by the men who cared for and operated them. This is deeply attractive - and each a wonderful muse to recreate in miniature.
More, the act of stripping one down to its component parts and gently working through a series of predictable and repeatable steps has become second nature - and hence, mindful. I love the way making these models feels. I am in a deeply happy place when bringing my latest 'gronk' to life.
09012 was repainted into Intercity livery in March 1988, and named at the Woking open day in April. She was repainted into General grey in May 1990. In my Spring 1990 ‘Motive Power Pocket Book’ she is described as the former, and as such was the first livery that I repainted my Dad’s Lima Class 08 - a step that turned out to be the first on my journey to where I stand today.
The cab is filled with a Lais stay alive - for 09012 has DCC sound - and as such is a great deal of unnecessary fun - joining 08417 and 08441 as noisy examples. I’ve written about this modification previously, for anyone interested in following that modification.
My own N scale example began life as a Farish Intercity liveried 08950. I swapped the chassis out for one with red rods, removed the number and swallow and repainted the upper body in executive grey. I added the new embellishments from Fox decals and some numbers I drew up specifically for the project - before adding the high level air pipes (scratchbuilt) and extra Southern marker lights (lamps from previous 08s where a lot of this is removed!). The upper frames were modified and repainted too before I added DG couplings, the orange pipe under the cab and a brace between the front steps. The finishing touch is the etched nickel silver name plate from Light Railway Stores - and weathering brings the finish to life.
I love the way making these models feels...
Posed here on Paxton Road she evokes the photo that in recent times kicked this project off… for whilst ‘playing’ trains is a wonderful pastime, sometimes it is just nice to have the lights on - and visit as I pass the layout. A moments pause in a busy life a worthwhile, no, valuable opportunity to take stock and find yourself. Until next time, more soon…
Support my work
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free. Alternatively, feel free to buy me a coffee, where regular memberships start from just £1.





08113 will be the beating heart of Penpont goods James. Great work on 09012.
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear it Tom - whilst it has the original chassis it was one of the sweetest 08s I ever reworked. The first with hinged doors for me too…
Delete