Hilton and Mears Class 08…

The HMLX story takes another twist as the latest N gauge 08 (how many is that now, 4?!!) has been released from the workshop wearing a Hilton Mears yellow livery with classy green logo…


What you (and I) never realised was that Hilton Mears expanded from a spot hire leasor to a terminal operator, offering last mile shunting and interchange/transload facilities at a number of locations across the United Kingdom. What you are actually looking at is a bargain Farish 08 in Network Rail yellow that I have gently reworked and added markings too before a subtle and sympathetic weathering to represent a tired and aging workhorse wearing new clothes but you can’t hide the scars of many years sterling service.


“I love how chunky and filled with purpose this appears to be. I think it looks fantastic. You?”

“I’m really pleased with it, yes, it feels understated yet believable. It almost feels like this 08 could be crawling up Schuyler Street with some cars for Matt brewing…”


 

As you’d expect of a recent Farish release it runs well, especially on my Gaugemaster W, it’s coreless motor and smooth drive respond well to the pure DC control. She looks good in yellow too, nice and bright, modern, and contrasting with the blue JIA and silver Cargowaggons it will call its friends. She could even call Paxton Road home for a short time whilst ideas for another small exhibition scheme float around.


I’ve still to add the DG couplings and brake pipes to the buffer beams, but even without I love the finish. These cruel close ups take no prisoners, weathering a pale shade, especially in N, is fraught with danger as there is no where to hide! The pin wash was the same Humbrol 72 I used on the Susquehanna GP40, the other shades kept subtle and restrained and I love both the fuel spill over the bonnet and rust on the cab roof, and the door handrails look great with ‘flaking’ paint. This fine work is all sharpening my skills for when working on your own commissions, if you’d like me to breathe life in to your models then get in touch for a no obligation fixed price proposal. Until next time, more soon…




Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments