Cacwn for Beaverbrook: The Susie-q 3040…

Since my teens I’ve had a bit of a soft spot for the New York Susquehanna and Western after an article in Trains magazine made me aware of the lines existence. I guess that’s as far back as you can directly trace this model, although or course my H0 scale adventure began a good decade earlier…


Later the videos of ‘The Railroading Rambler’ on YouTube alerted me to the street running and single unit switching of 3040, these also fueling a number of layout schemes.


The Atlas model duly arrived a few weeks back - I’d pre-ordered a year or so ago and its arrival was a nice surprise birthday present! Out of the box it runs like butter, so smooth. There is something about the way an Atlas model tracks the rails that no other brand quite matches. Others may have the nod on detail and livery finesse but Atlas still wins out on performance. That said, I was disappointed by a number of the compromises Atlas have made but could categorise these as minor or inconsequential.


 

It has taken a few weeks thanks to the summer holidays but I’m happy to release 3040 to the layout now. The biggest discrepancy was the fuel tank, and thanks to Atlas I received a replacement ‘short’ one in the mail. I modified this to match 3040 (one side doesn’t have the side gauge) and added some extra detail from a Cannon and Co detailing pack. In addition I’ve added deeper front and rear pilots and a Modelu crew, window shades, relocated the bell as well as switching out the plastic couplings for Kadee 58s. The real transformation though has come about through careful subtle weathering.


Whilst I didn’t feel I could tackle the shade of yellow (which to me is too dark and too mustard) the pin wash and subtle weathering makes the most of the Atlas tooling. I used an olive shade, Humbrol 72, to add a pin wash around the doors and this was also washed over the black area, faded them nicely. Usual 98/33 wash to the underframe and walk ways, footboards and pilots, followed by airbrushed 133/245/27004 (the former pair are discontinued so I don’t know what I’ll do in future). Dry brushed gunmetal 53 finished things off nicely and the result is subtle and reflects the video and photos I’ve seen of the real loco,or I’ve that seems to be tired but well cared for.


This model is now a much loved addition to the fleet and replaces the Guilford wide cab GP40 that was sold in the recent clear out. I look forward to enjoying her in running sessions over the next few months. I hope this shows that we can transform rather ‘dated’ models by subtle modifications and a sympathetic weathering. If you’d like me to breathe life into your own models I offer a no obligation fixed price proposal to your exact requirements. Get in touch for more details, in the meantime,  more soon…


Oh, and why Cacwn? Welsh for Bumble-bee...



Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments

  1. Hi James

    I really like the way the lokey has come out. Very realistic weathering and I can't see a problem with the shade of yellow - I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder. Hopefully you can do a YouTube of it in operation as I enjoyed the "bag of nails" Alco switcher doing its thing on Beaverbrook in the recent video.

    GP40's seem to be becoming the unit of choice on today's short lines and even industrial rail roads. I manged to catch one on the Portland and Western in Oregon in 2015 with a similar paint job to the Susie-Q

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alan. Kind words indeed, and yes, the yellow is acceptable until you compare it with the real thing. So as I do t have any other Susquehanna locomotives, nor intend to buy any, it will be fine.

      I’m sure she’ll be caught on video too at some point. The MLW S13 is my favourite model at present… and I’ve got a CN rebuilt SW1200 ‘SWEEP’ to build over the winter.

      Thanks for the photos, those GP40s are wearing Genesee and Wyoming corporate colours…

      Delete
  2. Yes I know not everyone likes the G&W corporate scheme but I think it is quite smart and G&W seem to allow the local management to operate in the best way for heir customers

    Best regards

    Alan

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog - I appreciate you taking the time to share your views. If you struggle to log in, please turn off the ‘block cross-site tracking’ setting in your browser.

James.