Friday Update: Twenty-nine Nine Twenty-three...

It’s that time of week again, a chance for a whistle stop tour of the workbench and as my YouTube channel continues to chug along nicely, has me wondering if these updates would work well as videos on occasion?…


Large and small, I’m on the very last leg of the Ruston LB second batch with painting and detailing complete, just weathering to consider on the 4 large scale models. Work has begun in anger on the Hudson Hunslet. The original models used a Micron ‘Deltang’ based transmitter and receiver with the latter located within the engine of the model. This example uses a LocoRemote mini B, which I’ve tucked up one end of the chassis. The batteries, as per the previous models, sit in the tool box in the cab. All wired up and tested along with plugs for removing items of ever required and a fuse on the battery pack and I’m happy (and relieved) that it all works as intended. Once the Ruston are gone, I’ll have space to begin on the bodywork for this and whilst they’re both being worked upon my thoughts are turning to what next? 

I’ve half a mind to revisit the Hunslet in Royal Ordnance form, complete with frame weights, cut down cab and a pair of suitable trucks for 2023! Any takers?


In the smaller scales a veritable mix of projects from modification of an ancient white metal kit to the latest OO ready to run from Rapido in for weathering. The diminutive N scale class 08 is in fact a model a customer transformed into the Dutch NS600 class…


…which I have painted and designed custom markings for! This model is nearly finished and should be on its way home next week. I offer a one stop shop for commission work, happy to undertake all aspects including design and sourcing of any custom parts or markings, get in touch to see if I can bring your memories to life! The contact form here in the menu or via Facebook. Click on the Modelmaking Commissioms button in the top bar for more information.


Personal projects tick along, and the opportunity to draw up markings for the NS600 meant I had the chance to produce signage for Wrecsam Canalog. These will be some way off fitting, but I’ve done a series of sizes because I wasn’t sure quite which one will look right. You’ll note two era too, I’m not sure whether to go with the new TfW signage or go for the old two tone sign? We shall see…

 

You might have spotted another model in the photo of commissions above, a certain green 009 locomotive, Duke, sorry Prince… an unexpected return to the scale has seen work progress on Creech Barn (right) and thoughts of a Ffestiniog micro cameo are brewing. The influx of RTR 009 had become a real turn off for the scale, one I fell in love with through scratch building locomotives, but the idea of doing a period layout with real character, not a pizza, or a mish mash of prototypes - how to model the line which as we all know features long trains too, I’ll share more when I’m ready.


However, a well deserved ‘day off’ this week with a trip to Porthmadog yesterday and a Mountain Spirit journey to Blaenau Ffestiniog…


I always enjoy the trip up, but it’s one back where I find myself just sitting and watching the world and beautiful mountains go by… and then the coast appears…  and it’s just magic. Old oak trees, their ancient fingers reaching for the sky, twisting and bent by years of wind, rain and harsh mountain weather… the train twisting through deep cuttings and across narrow embankments over deep ravines… wonderful wonderful wonderful stuff. If you could bottle it…

 

A weekend with a mix of work and household ‘jobs’ as the autumn approaches means I’ll have little more than ‘play time’ available for my own railways - but that’s no bad thing. I hope you are all well, thank you for your continued support of what I do here, be that just stopping by to read, joining in with comments or being kind enough to drop a donation in below (or above). Have a wonderful weekend, until next time more soon…


Donate
I love writing and creating material for the blog. If you enjoy what you read and engage with I would be appreciative of any donation, large or small, to help me keep it advert and restriction free.

Comments